Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Recommend me a First Aid course….
  • MoreCashThanDash

I’m looking to do a first aid course which needs to cover the following as a minimum:

• What to do in an emergency

• Cardio-pulmonary resuscitation

• First aid for the unconscious casualty

• First aid for the wounded or bleeding

Can anyone recommend me one, ideally with an outdoor activity bias, or should I just plump for a local Red Cross/St Johns course?

Cheers

Drac

St John’s or any other first aid trainer will be fine.

wrightyson
    Free Member

I’m St. John’s qualified. It covers all those areas. Also extra defib courses available etc

matt_outandabout

Where are you based?
    Most first aid courses would cover that, however it is worth doing one with an ‘you are an hour from help, it is cold, wet, windy…’ approach, if you do any outdoor activities.
    I have done courses in the Peak, Yorkshire, Lakes and Scotland and can suggest some great providers.

MoreCashThanDash

I’m near Derby, so somewhere within an hour or two would suit best.

wrightson – you are near me, where did you do yours?

Onzadog
    Free Member

There’s an outdoor place in stoney Middleton. There’s a first aid course there run by Rick Cotgrave.

To my mind, he’s the Jedi of first aid courses. First time I’ve come away from one of these thinking I could comfortably put it into practice rather than just getting a piece of paper.

I’ll certainly be doing my refresher there. Given what it costs for the weekend, it’s actually a worthwhile spend just for an enjoyable weekend. Wife and her mate will be going shortly.

Pure Outdoor, just make sure Rick is doing it. (just remembered)

matt_outandabout

Then I suggest http://www.highpeakfirstaid.co.uk/ – Nicola is excellent.

footflaps

I did a Rescue and Emergency Care course as Plas-y-Brenin many moons ago. Was all outdoor based aimed at Mountain Leaders / Instructors.

ianfitz
    Free Member

Plus one for Nicola. Our running club is booking a whole course. Early November I think we may have some spare places that people can buy. Would be discounted from usual price due to large numbers of group.

Best to email me (in profile) if interested

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Just as important if you do it to keep it updated all the time. I was surprised to learn that the recovery position is not to be used anymore.

renton
    Free Member

Im just in the middle of doing the First Aid at Work course by St Johns and its quite good to be honest and covers all the bits mentioned above.

footflaps

According to the NHS website:

If a person is unconscious but is breathing and has no other life-threatening conditions, they should be placed in the recovery position.

Pieface

I did one with ‘First on scene’ for work where the trainers are emergency services staff. Office emergency basics (inc. AED) and they train you to use the recovery position.

Drac

I was surprised to learn that the recovery position is not to be used anymore.

😯

thegreatape
    Free Member

My mate is one of the BASP trainers and he gets about a fair bit doing their courses. I don’t know any details of their courses but I guess a couple of minutes on their website would solve that, so might be worth a look?

http://www.basp.org.uk

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Yes Drac apparently latest is not to put in recovery position as more likely to cause more serious with destabilising neck/back injuries.

IF they puke then move

Drac

You’ve misunderstood or they have.

You don’t move them into if it’s suspected C spine injury unless they are choking.

If there is no suspected C spine then it’s Ok to go ahead.

pebblesonabeach
    Free Member

Anyone but St Johns

Choose someone with experience of front line incidents and not a book reader who gets excited by stuff they haven’t seen… But wishes they had!

rogerthecat
    Free Member

Nicola @ High Peak First Aid is on the same site as us, always seems to be very busy and has a good rep locally afaik. Good excuse to get some Peak riding in whilst in the area too.

Markie
    Free Member

I just did a paediatric first aid day course with the Red Cross and thought it excellent, covered all your points and more – but I have nothing to compare it to.

Doing an adult course with them in a few weeks – both booked following the sfb thread.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a First Aid course….’ is closed to new replies.