Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Recommend me a fantasy themed PC strategy game
  • PJay
    Free Member

I’ve been away from PC gaming for a while due mainly do a very underpowered PC. I’ve just upgraded to a reasonably specced PC (although hardly top of the range) and fancy a spot of gaming again. I used to be a great fan of strategy games such as The Settlers series, Age of Empires/Wonders etc. and more recently The Battle for Middle Earth games and fancy something along those lines with a fantasy theme.

What’s good out there are the moment?

Xylene
    Free Member

World of Warcraft – say goodbye to your life, if you get into it.

mmb
    Free Member

i’ve got world of warcraft for sale £10 if you’re interested, can do pics also.

Drac

WOW accounts are locked to the CD key though and don’t do it you’ll loose hours of your life.

mmb
    Free Member

drac “locked to the cd key” what does that mean? 😳

Adam_85
    Free Member

Starcraft 2 is actually a strategy game unlike world of warcraft.

PlopNofear
    Free Member

Means that your account if you made one, would have had to have a CD Key assigned to it to show that you bought the game. If you sold the disk onto someone else and they tried to use the same CD Key it wouldn’t work because your account has that CD Key.

When you buy the game your basically paying for that CD Key.

Adam_85
    Free Member

drac “locked to the cd key” what does that mean?

You can only use the unique code that come with the game once.
    You dont really need to buy a hard copy of wow either just download a trial and buy a cd key online if you like it.

mmb
    Free Member

so does that mean to use the game you can buy the cd second hand then buy a new key online to use it?.

Adam_85
    Free Member

Yeah exactly that

atlaz
    Free Member

Yes, but why would you? Do what adam said and download it from the website then buy it online. To be honest there are so many patches that the disks are not much of a speed increase when you want to install it. If you buy the disks, you’re just paying extra for something you don’t need.

mmb
    Free Member

i got a copy a while ago but stuck it in the draw and never used it so i don’t really know how it all works.

PJay
    Free Member

I’d assumed that WOW was more RPG (although I love that sort of thing too). I was thinking of something with empire/city building and resource management and combat stratagy elements.

I’m sure that I’d love WoW but the BBC iplayer on our Freesat box is sucking up enough of our 10Gb bandwidth limit for us to get warning emails from BT, I suspect that I’d need to upgrade!

McHamish
    Free Member

Above posts are correct…many account based PC games can’t be used by different people.

Also, legally you can’t sell PC games once you’ve installed it.

PJay
    Free Member

I’d assume that selling on of PC games is pretty much the same as selling on any software – dependant on the license and some retail software does allow it as long as it’s uninstalled first. There are some stores that sell secondhand PC games on the High Street. I don’t know about WoW though.

Xylene
    Free Member

Have you downloaded a trial of WoW yet then?

redthunder
    Free Member

MS Excel or Access

Jujuuk68
    Free Member

I’ve been playing wow for 5 years. Its about the only game I ever play these days…..

Don’t do it..

But if you do, either go out and buy the battlechest set from game or whereever, really cheaply, and don’t worry about the cataclysm expansion til you get to or about l80, in a few months time.

From Biryani – level 83 Warlock – Tarren Mill Sever.

flipiddy
    Free Member

I’ve never played WoW, for the simple reason that it looks like pure gamer crack!

Battle for Wesnoth is a fun, free and surprisingly addictive strategy game that will run on just about anything. Probably won’t push your new computer tbh!

http://www.wesnoth.org/

PJay
    Free Member

I haven’t tried WOW yet, although I’m sure that I’d love it I reckon we’d need to upgrade our internet account for the extra bandwidth and then there’s the ongoing costs; pure gamer crack as has been suggested!

I’ve got a £15 Game giftcard to spend and I’m thinking about Dragon Age Origins as my starting point for re-entering the world of PC gaming.

BenjiM

Mayber try the Total War series or possibly Warcraft 3. Although Sci Fi, Warhammer 40k Dawn of War I and II are very good. Civilization 5, Patrician III etc. Civ 4 Complete is only a fiver on Steam.

Dragon Age is very good and harks back to Baldurs gate but a bit more action oriented. DLC’s are a bit pricey for what they are but’s 20 quid on Steam at the mo with loads of gameplay to keep you going.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a fantasy themed PC strategy game’ is closed to new replies.