Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Recommend me a Dog forum
  • richc
    Free Member

Can anyone recommend me a dog forum, as I have recently got a rescue dog, and it has an issue with jumping up and biting, when he is excited (he just sorta flips once or twice a day)

I am going to arrange some training as well, but the more advice I can get the better really.

soobalias
    Free Member

all dogs should be shot and all cats should be kicked over fences.

that said, i use Dobermann Rehoming Association forum

bigsi
    Free Member

try this

http://www.dogpages.org.uk/forums/index.php?showforum=4

Warning – Just don't go to the rehoming pages or you could end up with a whole pack 😉

Pigface
    Free Member

Page3.com ????

richc
    Free Member

Thanks for your help, I will post a question.

69er
    Free Member

richc – good man for re-homing, it can come with some challenges.

The jumping up must not be tolerated. One of my dogs had this problem. You must firmly tell him 'no' and a hand held out palm down horizontally will reinforce the message. Give him no other reaction. Be firm, the 'no' should be short and sharp like a bark.

If he nips as well you must 'bite' him using a hand forming a claw on his neck. In extreme cases hold him on his back. Not hard grip, just pushing your fingers firmly against him for a second. In his head he is being bitten because of bad behaviour.

Attention is the reward they crave. And knowing their place socially. you must be 'top dog'. The dog is happiest when dominated. Make sure he has plenty of exercise, is not left alone for long priods and that you reward good behaviour. Ignore peeing or pooing, if you tell him off you are still rewarding him with your attention.

You want to get him into a calm state of mind, and make this the norm.

Depending on breed you could also challenge him intellectually too.

Good luck!

TooTall
    Free Member

Good on you fella. The training is the answer and ensuring you (and family) are constant afterwards. Dogs need structure and you are the pack leader to provide that and the dog needs to know what you will and won't allow. kona is pretty much on the money. Hard work, but very rewarding when your dog is so much better behaved than most others.

uponthedowns
    Free Member

Like Kona-ona said its attention seeking. If it jumps up turn your back on it and ignore it. Then when it calms down give it praise and maybe a treat. it will then start to realise it can get attention without jumping.

ourmaninthenorth

Would someone kindly re-home my neighbours' dog? Damned thing was put out all night (poresumably because neighvbours off getting p*ssed again) and so was barking its head off from 3am onwards.

It's either re-homing or a stretch of rope and a hammer…. 🙁

commierider
    Free Member

what breed is your dog?

there are plenty of forums about which are mostly breed specific and some very good gundog specific forums.

I have found from experience that breed speific training will yield much quicker and better results.

BlingBling
    Free Member

FFS its a **** DOG!!!!!111!!!

richc
    Free Member

He's a crossbreed, Spinone and Chesapeak bay. The turning and ignoring doesn't work as he is so excited, it just seems to spur him on. He is only 10 months old but he is a big dog, so its easy to forget he's still a puppy in his head, but as he can put his paws on my shoulders when he jumps up, and I am 6'2" so I am trying to get him as under control as he is far to big not be 100% obedient.

So I am going to try another technique, which invokes stepping forward, eye contact and a strict 'No' and then 'Down', then once he is down, petting him to calm him down and try a dog trainer as well.

Thing is other 99% of the time he is great. He will sit, lie down, heel, comes when called. Not bothered by bikes, runners, school children or the hundreds of hands that pet him on walks (he is very cute apparently). Its just when he flips, that's it.

mountaincarrot
    Free Member

Put him through my rear wheel while I'm riding along. That cured the last one OK.

richc
    Free Member

MC if he went through your back wheel, I think you would be so broken that you wouldn't be able to post on here. Any reason why you want to end up in hospital?

mountaincarrot
    Free Member

It did go through my back wheel. Week before last. I had slowed right down to nothing to get through a pack of about ten of the little nutters. I was completely clear of them, and just stepping on the power at (guess) ~6~7MPH when one attacked me from behind. Back leg through the wheel, tail through the chain and round the sprocket (Hub gear, lucky my chain was already stretched!). Locked up the wheel but I was fine. We got it out after removing the wheel.

The nutty dog wasn't so happy, but it looked a little more subdued when I left it.

enfht
    Free Member

carparkliasons.com

EDIT sorry I misread the question

westkipper
    Free Member

Forgive me for asking but why would a dog need a forum?
    So they can ask each other which is the most niche way of chasing their tails?
    So they could have an A+A hot bitch thread?
    So they could argue which bunch of inbred pedigree toffs is going to send the country to the dogs? ( thats a David Cameron dig BTW)
    Its a dog! It can lick its own knackers, it doesn't need the internet! 🙂

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a Dog forum’ is closed to new replies.