• This topic has 54 replies, 44 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by DezB.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)
  • recommend me a dog breed
  • phyncra
    Free Member

Ive finally succumbed and said yes to a dog after relentless pressure from the gf. The question now is what type of dog? Firstly is it a good idea to go for a proper pedigree, does it give any guarentee of the dogs temprament etc or is it just asking for trouble with regard to dodgy hips etc since the gene pool is likely to be shallower than a Norfolk broad.

With regards to breed I want something that will be happy to left at home during the day, but I want a dog that is able to come out for decent length runs, so has decent endurance. At the minute a working cocker is coming out tops but Im worried it may struggle running for any great length. Anyone any experience on taking these running? I basically want a springer or a collie but realise this is not realistic!

It also cant be too big as our house aint massive. Im not keen on greyhounds/whippet type things either.

Anyone recommend any more leftfield breeds?

ton

the friendliest breed around
    labrador

and the most spoilt.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Jack Russell?

We have one and he is small, clean, clever, very loyal, can run all day long, and not at all snappy or aggressive.

singlecrack
    Free Member

"happy to left at home during the day"
    prob not a working dog for you then especially a spanial

carbon337
    Free Member

My mother has working cockers, dont be fooled about it being small so it wont be too active. I would say he is more active than my springer but he is a fair bit older.

They are very clever and need loads of mental stimulation, she leaves hers for no more than 3 hrs at the most and even then he can be a nightmare after that.

From what you have said I wouldn't recommend them for you. They are used as sniffer dogs just like springers as they are so excitable and enthusiastic.

I got a rescue springer who was 5 he can be left for about 6hrs max – normally he is let out at lunch time. He runs/bikes with me but being that bit older he has lost most of the madness younger ones have.

I read on a spaniel forum – dont be fooled that a WC is like a mini springer as they are normally more active just in a small bundle.

ton

or a lab, in the pup years…………or a lab then.

carbon337
    Free Member

A Lab would be good but some can be massive and some small so see both parents. Also check hip scores.

5thElefant
    Free Member

Dobermans are happy to be left alone. Don't be put off by the hardman(dog) image. Without the cropped ears and tail they're just like any other soppy looking hound. Short hair too (which unless you like furballs rolling through your house like tumble weeds is a big plus).

jedi

jack russell every time for me. they do drops and everything 🙂

mudshark
    Free Member

with regards to breed I want something that will be happy to left at home during the day

Poor thing would get very lonely – they are sociable animals right?

the friendliest breed around
    Golden Retriever

joolsburger
    Free Member

Don't get a dog.

Leaving a dog indoors all day is a wrongun. Sorry mate but there it is.

backhander
    Free Member

Dobermanns are beautiful dugs.
    I have an english bull terrier mongrel thing from the rescue home.

StuMcGroo
    Free Member

jack russell. i've had 3 over the last 20 years, absolutly ace, leave 'em at home, they're small enough to have a dog flap to get outside, pick 'em up if they get into trouble, playful, hardy, inquisitave, intelligent and trainable when it suits them!

i never trust any dog with children, pedigree doesn't guarantee anything, as for temprement? i think they pick more up from the owner than what they have bred into them.

soobalias
    Free Member

I want something that will be happy to left at home during the day, but I want a dog that is able to come out for decent length runs, so has decent endurance. At the minute a working cocker is coming out tops

oh!

Ive finally succumbed and said yes to a dog after relentless pressure from the gf.

oh! again.

things to consider.
    how long will it be left each day?
    the fact that it is being left at all should rule out a puppy, so you are best off starting with the local rescue. You could check out breed specific rescues if a particular breed takes your fancy.
    an adult dog, rescued, will guaranteed need a settling in period, where it would be best if it was not left unaccompanied for long periods. You could get round this, to some extent, with crate training and a serious exercise regime for the dog (so it is exercised/fed/tired when left)

totally ignoring your needs and circumstances i heartily recommend a dobermann.
    edit: dont make it run all day, and as they get very attached they easily suffer seperation anxiety

actiondan
    Free Member

Its got to be a Border Terrier, can run all day long (originally bred for hunting)great with kids/family etc, can stay outside all day even winter as they grow 2 coats and they are tough as old boots!

DrNickRiviera
    Free Member

Carbon,

Spot on about not leaving working cockers alone, any more than an hour left with his own thoughts and Tigger (I Know) is a nightmare. If I go out to the car for 5 minutes he greets me as if we havnt seen each other for days, shoe or childs toy in mouth.

Wouldnt change him though, he will run all day and is great with everyone

StuMcGroo
    Free Member

also… like you i got talked into it 20 years ago. i agreed but i wanted a small playful dog, wasn't bothered about breed but liked terriers.

2 days after i said yes we were at ncdl (now dogs trusts), we had three that loosly met the criteria, one didn't like men, one had three legs and one was a snappy jack russell who we came away with (no home checks in those days!), it was sort of spur of the moment but we had him for forteen years and never regretted one moment.

carbon337
    Free Member

Actually Borders are a good shout – they can run and dont mind being left for periods. They have a tendency to do off after rabbits etc though.

wombat

There's lots of good eating on a St Bernard 😯 😯 😉

hora
    Free Member

Border Terrier or if you are slightly fruity- Westhighland Terrier 😀

grantway
    Free Member

Golden Retriever Very friendly dog and FAB around
    kids and loves the woods and Mud

phyncra
    Free Member

Wow that was quick. Thanks for all the comments.

Yeah I am a bit concerned about whether we should get a dog at all with it being left alone all the time.

We have looked after a golden retriever before and she didnt mind being alone during the day so maybe a lab or a golden retriver maybe possible. or possibly an older rescue springer/ cocker

Ton- is youre lab left alone during the day?

Im not keen on terriers or Jack Russels but may have to learn to like them.

and SOOBalias its to protect my macho image that I pretend Im being forced into getting a dog!

br
    Free Member

Working Cocker, quite happy on our normal 12 mile dog run, or even climbing hills!

Jase
    Free Member

Another Doberman, not sure about leaving all day though:

Prob be better off with something like a lurcher

Our greyhound:

LeeW

I would suggest a Lurcher, but you don't want a Greyhound/Whippet type dog. I have to say though that once you let a Lurcher in to your house (and on the sofa) you'll never want another breed. Although I bet most breed owners would say the same. You can get short haired, long haired. Smaller tumbler type to full on Deer/Greyhound crosses.

Depending on the parentage they don't need too much excercise, they're happy to be left alone too.

If fact the only problem is they spark so many conversations when your out walking with them it gets a bit tiresome.

TooTall
    Free Member

I want something that will be happy to left at home during the day

Don't get a dog. You can't turn them on and off when you want. They are living creatures that deserve better than being abandoned all day. It is a child substitute so you need to treat it properly – which does not include abandoning it all day.

soobalias
    Free Member
    Rex
    Free Member

Lurcher deerhound here. Working stock and a bit of a mentalist TBH, as as Lee says check the parents out. Great temprement but full on – also not sure about how long she'd last on a bike ride – she's more 15 minutes of sprinting then back home to the sofa…

Not sure she'd take kindly to being left more than a couple of hours…so I have to echo lots of the comments above.

jedi

leeW awesome pic!

hora
    Free Member

Another Doberman, not sure about leaving all day though:

If we had a big house/land we'd also have a Doberman 😀

tails
    Free Member

get this one

Rex
    Free Member

that five days vid doesn't pull any punches – and fair enough i suppose

yetiguy
    Free Member

Flat coated retreiver, best breed of dog !

I have had numerous breeds through my life, and i can honestly say that IMO the best breeds are the Flat coated retriever and the Dachshund.

Seriously do some research on them and you will see what an amazingly friendly, loving, easy going dog the Flatties are

We have a Flattie called charlie

69er
    Free Member

2nd lurchers. Don't be thinnist!

soobalias
    Free Member

tonyg2003

+1 borders. We have two. Old ladies now who love the sofa. Although they love their walks, occasional days off aren't a problem.

A major plus – compared to almost every other non terrier breed – no health problems.

They are terriers though – they can be little thugs sometimes if they a big dog tries to boss them.

PeteG55
    Free Member

I'd have to ask how long your planning to leave alone each time. Me and my gf got a right Heinz57 mix (think a bit of Boxer and possibly Parsons terrier). We got her at roughly 12months old from the Dogs Trust. I'm lucky and have a job where I can take her to work and go for walks at lunchtime, but she does get bored and has already taken to chewing the wiring loom in the back of the van. I wouldn't dare leave her for a full day in the house, it'd be trashed! But being part Boxer shes great when we go out on the bike and loves going out in the woods. Shes also got a fantastic character and we've no concerns about her being aggresive to anyone or anything.
    I'd highly recommend a hybrid/mongrel, as you say for the limited gene pool that gives so many problems with pedigree breeding. Not that mongrels are a guarantee against problems, but it does theres less risk. Having said that, we're hoping one day to get a Lab.
    Also think about costs, we reckon about £10-15 a week once you include food,insurance,vets etc. On that I'd recommend getting a dog from a Dogs Trust shelter, we paid £75 and included in that the dog has her full set of vaccines, microchip and speyed. You'll pay in excess of £500 for a pedigree Lab, and then you'll need all them things on top.
    I don't know how long you and gf have been together, but also realize you'll be committing to anything up to possibly 20years of a dogs life.

algarvebairn
    Free Member

A retriever of some sort. Golden, lab, flattie etc. All are good dogs.

I would think carefully though if it's going to be left alone all day. I've got 2 goldens and they get antsy after a couple of hours.

All day every day seems a bit heartless IMO.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Westies rock.. For little dogs they are great. Eric will quite happily walk for hours in the Lakes, as for Esme, she's only 6 months, but love thse hils so far…

Short haired, and don't molt. And small enough to throw in the bath when they are covered in mud.

Eric

Esme

br
    Free Member

There is no problem whatsoever in leaving an adult dog alone all day, and if you have them from a pup they'll easily get use to it.

We got our Working Cocker (see prev post/picture) at 8 weeks old (June), we had a weeks holidays and then my wife came home lunchtimes for the next few weeks. He was alone mornings and afternoons. Then summer hols where he was left odd days.

We started with a pen (1m x 1m) with a cover, and under-cover. We then bought a full size walk-in cage (3m x 2m) with an insulated kennel inside. He spends days in here, and sleeps inside.

He has plenty of toys and is often walked by neighbours, plus obviously us and a weekly bike run. He also travels well.

I would totally recommend one, and they're good with kids too.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)

The topic ‘recommend me a dog breed’ is closed to new replies.