Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Recommend me a Dartmoor campsite
  • shermer75
    Free Member

Any suggestions? I’m going to be backpacking, probably starting from Okehampton on foot but might start from somewhere else (accessible by bus) if it means staying at a good campsite. Good view, showers and nice pub nearby are only requirements really. Might reconsider on the showers! 😉

carlphillips
    Free Member

Plume of feathers pub in princetown has camping/bunkhouse beer etc
    No idea north of that I’m afraid,

shermer75
    Free Member

Hi carlphilips thanks for that, it looks really good. I have emailed them asking about buses…

shermer75
    Free Member

Hmmm, not really accessible for me unfortunately. Are there any other suggestions out there?

Mooly
    Free Member

Walked passed this one last week. Looked really nice and absolutely tiny.
    Great walks around Fingle bridge and Castle Drogo etc.
    Sweet meadow camping

timidwheeler

+1 Plume of feathers. I haven’t been there a while but the food was always excellent!

carlphillips
    Free Member

@shermer what buses are you thinking of?

there isnt a great deal serving dartmoor and princetown is about as big as it gets on’t moor…if you want transport links then look closer to ivybridge, tavistock, bovey tracy or oke…

afaik there is a bus to princetown.

you can walk from oke to princetown in a day, then carry on to ivybridge the next day completing the dartmoor north to south, Ive done it a few times, its a nice walk.

shermer75
    Free Member

Hi carlphilips, as far as I can tell the only bus that goes to Prince Town is the 98 from Tavistock or Yelverton, which is the wrong side of the moor for me. I’ll be most likely getting a train to either Exeter or Totnes, then a bus to Okehampton or Buckfastleigh. Unless there are any better suggestions!!

stumpytrek
    Free Member

If you have the inclination I’d seriously recommend wild camping on the moor instead.

Fox & Hounds between oke and Tavistock also has a campsite (and I think a bunkhouse)

shermer75
    Free Member

Mooly- Sweet Meadows is looking very promising! Thanks 🙂

shermer75
    Free Member

Stumpytrek- planning to wild camp one or two nights and stay on campsite one or two nights. Will look at Fox and Hounds…

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a Dartmoor campsite’ is closed to new replies.