Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Recommend me a compressor..
  • thorpey0
    Free Member

Bleeping tubeless bleeping track pump bleep……

Usual trick of removing valve core, washing up liquid and a bit of foaming at the mouth while pumping has not worked.. Compressor time… The one I found in the garage is useless and doesn’t have a presta valve anyway…

So what do people use, preferably something on Amazon prime!! Cheers!

scaredypants

just for tyres ? one of those airshots is probably the cheapest way (apart from the pop-bottle “ghetto” things)

Tracey

We got one of the cheap Aldi ones, works a treat and came with the hose and guage to do them with.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Very impressed with my airshot. Smaller, cheaper, more portable and less faff to get out and put away than a compressor. Highly recommended.

thorpey0
    Free Member

Airshot is a good idea but limited in usefulness I think, maybe just go down the Cheapo route then?

thorpey0
    Free Member

Typed that as Simons replied…. Tempted now, anyone spotted it at a good price

andrewreay

Recently had similar experience to you th0rpey0 and was all set to get an Airshot but hesitated and called the bike shop instead to see of I could borrow their compressor.

They said Ok, but when I turned up the compressor was out of action, so they tried their own Airshot, without success.

The guys finally got the tyres to seat with a CO2 cannister per wheel.

Before investing in an Airshot, give the CO2 method a go. It only costs a couple of quid.

The technique they used was a bit different in that they put some latex in first, then put the rim on the wheel and then let rip with the CO2.

The cold can have a negative affect on the latex apparently, and I guess if the tyre fails to seat, there’ll be a latex eruption as the gas goes in… …and out, so it is not exactly textbook.

But it could save you £60!

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

I’ve been using CO2 since I first started on tubeless. I’ve only used Airshot on 5 tyres so far and one of them took two shots. Based on that I’d say it’s Much more reliable than CO2 – probably as there’s more gas. cO2 always needed topping up whereas airshot I was letting air out of 2.2 rubber Queens.

That’s before you get on to co2 supposedly being bad for the latex (so I always let the tyres down and refilled. and airshot working without the valve cores being removed. And CO2 canisters being about £1 each even if bought in bulk on eBay.

Always worth giving the tyre shape before going tubeless (sticking on a rim with a tube in overnight) and a bit of soppy water/silicon spray/soapy water on the bead.

I was using airshot with a load of latex in the tyre as well so that works either way – just saves another process.

z1ppy

Aldi currently have there compressor in again, might not be a cheapest option (pretty cheap for a compressor), but then neither is the airshot, which you still have to fill up by hand… Had mine for 2 or 3 years now & I don’t regret buying it when your having a nitemare with a tyre (it happens). Though my best advise for tubeless tyres is to make sure the tyre is warm before fitting (supple)

darthshearer
    Free Member

Used the Airshot yesterday for the first time, superb.

Tracey

This is like the one I have, it was in their sale box for £49,got it mounted out of the way on the garage wall but can be lifted off to take out side for the car tyres

trail_rat
    Free Member

cant spray a fence or a car – or use a windy gun with an airshot though*. its a one trick pony

* I have done all of the above and more with my compressor – one of my favorite of all my tools – never been defeated yet how ever i do have 175litres of air to get the better of any stuborn tires.

top tip with compressor is – remove the valve core and use a “blowgun” with a long needle on to pop the beads on – then let it go down and put in air regular style.

thats just an *expensive* electric pump tracey.

Tracey

It might be just an expensive pump but it does every thing I want it to including popping tyres up in seconds. Anything bigger would be a waste of space and money for what I need.

thorpey0
    Free Member

Cheers for the replies. I have some co2 knocking around so might try that first. Then it’s a toss up between airs hot and compressor…

Speshpaul

If you are anywhere near Shropshire I’m about to sell a small workshop compressor, 9 litre tank, which is enough to do tubeless, £35

gee
    Free Member

The problem with using CO2 is that it can create Stanimals in the tyre (balls of hardened tubeless spooge). The freezing temps and sealant don’t mix well.

I have an Airshot for races, which is brilliant and doesn’t have this problem, and a Screwfix compressor in the garage – the £99 one.

GB

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Lidl also have compressors at the moment for £80.

Too cheap to do proper air compressor jobs like driving air tools, spraying properly etc, but for the same price as an airshot or similar it’s got to be worth the money.

I’m tempted to get fire extinguisher to make a DIY airshot and compress it with a £12 tyre inflator rather than by hand.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a compressor..’ is closed to new replies.