Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Recommend me a comfy ladies saddle for my wife
  • allankelly

My wife got back on the bike after quite a while off, and did about 10 miles on her Inbred 456 on roads + cycle paths. She was a bit sore!

Current saddle's a Brooks ladies B17 S in honey, a lovely looking thing and I use Brooks all the time so I bought her one, but it's brand new so a bit stiff and she's not getting on with it.

I'm also wondering if a cheap-ish suspension seatpost might help.

All suggestions gratefully received!

Cheers, al.

trail_rat
    Free Member

youll never get a non cycling woman to have patience with a brooks 10k – vs the 500k needed to break em in

my missus – a keen cyclist thinks my brooks look like torture devices !

you will likely need to try a few – currently on the same process with the SO as her old favorite saddle is broken and discontinued 🙁

we have so far established WTB devas are not that great !

ojom
    Free Member

Alan – we do fitted saddles here – you may have seen them when in.

get her to come in or i can give you some instructions and kit on how to do it at home and we can take it from there.

MD

PaulGillespie
    Free Member

my other half has just bought a specialized windy XC from Edinburgh Bikes for £25. Best saddle she's had so far, i'm told.

allankelly

trail_rat: But it's so nice!

You're right though. She tried a Georgina Terry a few years back and didn't like that either.

al.

allankelly

TBC: Fitted saddles eh Mark? Paws off you randy bugger! Get your German BMX Fraulein to do the fitting I think…

😉

Good idea. Any links on tinternet?

al.

allankelly

Paul G: Spesh Windie XC

It's gotta hole innit. Which seems sensible. (Although Brooks also claim to have invented that 100 years ago!)

Cheers, al.

ojom
    Free Member

She is Slovakian…

allankelly

> slovakian
    Well, she's very nice whatever planet whe's from.

Fitted saddle links? Hmm?

al.

tron
    Free Member

Lots of places have the Specialized BG measuring kit, but they're not always keen to use it. Poor lad at the bike shop on Saturday looked like he wanted the ground to open up and swallow him when he measured my girlfriend's sitbones 😆

PaulGillespie
    Free Member

Tron, you'd think that would be one of the perks of the job eh?

enduro-aid
    Free Member

my misses uses the charge ladies ladle and get on just fine with it big improvement over her last on-one saddle

Dales_rider
    Free Member

Charge Ladle

My wife has complained about every saddle she's had before

But the Ladle she is recommending to friends as the most compfy she's had

criefftony
    Free Member

After years of moaning… I recently bought my wife a charge ladle. At the end of the first ride she said that she didn't notice it! I guess that's the best recommendation you can ask for! got to be worth a go at £20 posted from … http://www.winstanleysbikes.co.uk/product/14994/Charge_Ladle_Saddle

tracknicko
    Free Member

probably depends on the size of her tush. praps photos might help??!

nbt

Mrs NBT got a charge ladle, couldn;t stand it. Loves her specialized Windie XC, get measured though on the Arse-ometer. Most people come out at 143mm, but your missus may vary – one of the girls here at work is quite salim but uses a 155 saddle so the saddle width is not necessarily an indicator of lard-arsed-ness 🙂

allankelly

So, there's the specialized arse-o-meter and there's Marks's Slovakian Bum Mold. Both sound like a great laugh after a lunchtime jar. Let's see if we can farm the kids out and have a wander round Edinburgh this weekend…
    And while I'm in TBC I can show her the Ibis CX bike with the SRAM Red build. Whoo. What a bike.

al.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Mrs PP is a fairly hardy lass when it comes to saddles. She does prefer her Spesh like the ones above over the Charge she had before though…….

She specifically asked to go on the arse-o-meter as well!

allankelly

Well, hello again!

We bought one of those armchairs Mark was talking about. Arse-o-meter, madam would fit this one, and Lo! and behold it's firmly (but supportively) Mrs's bike not Mr's.

That saddle is like an underwired bra – an incredible feat of engineering disguised as a bit of a joke =)

Cheers, al.

jedi

i always use selle italia ldy saddle.

🙂

allankelly

Jedi – and you are … a lady?

These are not the saddles you're looking for.

al.

jedi

i always use a ladies saddle. comfiest by miles!

Carbis

My wife has 2 Selle Italia Gel Flow saddles (one for each bike) and highly recommends them. That said her friend recommended the Specialized saddles, and as she rides her bike for ironman triathlon they should be good as well.

The main thing to remember is that for the ladies a 5-10 degree angle on the saddle (down from back to nose) is best for comfort as this puts them on their sit bones.

allankelly

Thanks, that's the idea. We sat on the arse-o-meter (a bit of cardboard!) and the sit bones are easy to see. Mine are much narrower than hers – she's had 4 kids so not too surprising really! The wide saddle and low nose do the job.

al.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a comfy ladies saddle for my wife’ is closed to new replies.