Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Recommend me a chain set
  • leythervegas
    Free Member

Looking for a new chain set that I am going to run 1×9. I need light as possible but my budget is around £80. Crc have got an slx triple set for £90 which seems good. They don’t seem to sell them with just one ring so will have to sell on the rings I don’t need. It will be running with a SRAM x7 rear mech and shimano cassette.

Can anyone recommend me one or have they got one for sale? Need it be as good as new unmarked if possible.

chakaping
    Free Member

Hard to beat SLX, especially at that price. Great cranks.

breatheeasy
    Free Member

SLX or even Deore for £55 maybe.

That £90 SLX one has 36t chainring mind so if you want anything lower factor in replacement costs.

Light as possible and £80 sadly don’t mix very well in MTB cranks!

njee20
    Free Member

Light, great condition and £80 or less? Easy 🙄

SLX is your best bet new. May get some second hand XTRs or sommat, but doubt they’ll be in good nick for that budget.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

+1 SLX

Northwind

SLX makes most sense IMO but deore is good too (SLX comes with a bottom bracket that’s a fair bit better, deore BB is in the category “good enough, just”)

If it’s a 36-tooth SLX, I’d be interested to buy the middle ring off you 😉

leythervegas
    Free Member

It says on crc that it’s a 32 tooth middle ring aith the triple set, its a 36 on the double. Not sure which is best for me really with going 1×9.

Northwind

The double version has pedal inserts, the triple threads directly into the arm… So in theory the double should be stronger/more durable, certainly harder to crossthread. In practice, not sure if it matters

rob-jackson
    Free Member

the 36 will be ramped so no sue for a 1×9 setup

brakes
    Free Member

So in theory the double should be stronger/more durable, certainly harder to crossthread. In practice, not sure if it matters

I ripped the threads out of the non-drive side without the thread insert, admittedly I was riding with wide flats, but I rarely break stuff. you have to watch for overtightening the pedals with Shimano cranks.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Loving my Middleburn chainset here, no external BB’s to replace every few months, just a buttery smooth square taper BB that’s been in the bike for nearly 18 months with no signs of giving up

brakes
    Free Member

take your retro BB somewhere else grandad 🙂

Mackem

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=82922

This Raceface singlespeed crank might be worth a look.

blisterman1962
    Free Member

What is it with people and external BBs?

Ive been running an XT one for at least 2 years in several different frames, and its still fine.

leythervegas
    Free Member

That looks good mackem. Would I be able to run that with a 9 speed rear mech? Also would I need a chain device with that?

Mackem

Mech shouldnt be an issue, just make sure you use a 9 speed chain. Chain device? Again dunno, I never use one and have no problems (but I use an Alfine hub). BTW I dont have one of these cranks, was just considering it for myself.

leythervegas
    Free Member

I know I’m being a bit thick here but what’s the difference between an external and internal bb? I’ve got a shimano zee bb fitted, would I need to change it?

Northwind

Zee is an external, as is SLX. Old-school BBs like square taper, octalink etc are internal.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a chain set’ is closed to new replies.