Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Recommend me a… casual windproof jacket.
  • ratherbeintobago

Wife has ‘suggested’ that I need a casual soft shell/windproof jacket as apparently the existing options of fleece or waxed jacket aren’t appropriate. Anyone have any recommendations?

Thanks,

Andy

CountZero

Anything made from Windstopper, or perhaps a Buffalo Windshirt, ultralight, certainly windproof, and with a light fleece underneath good even in light rain.
    I’ve just recently resurrected my old MTB Windshirt, it’s surprisingly warm even with just a tee shirt when moving around.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Surface

Fantastic, I wear mine all the time, mrs nobeer refers to it as ‘the dog’ as it goes everywhere with me. Will not withstand a prolonged soaking, but I have other jackets for that.

iainc

I have that Surface one too, its great

cynic-al
    Free Member

3rd the Surface, though it lets water through and most softshells are warmer/more windproof.

ratherbeintobago

Thanks all. Are there other branded windproof fabrics apart from Gore Windstopper?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Yip, surface one is wind tight, there’s loads of others too.

TroutWrestler
    Free Member

I have a Decathlon one that is light, breathable will hold off enough of a shower as to not need to worry about a hard shell.

JulianA
    Free Member

Picked up a nice Mammut wind proof a few months ago in Blacks – 10% reduction as well. Very warm, light and comfortable. Recommended.

MSP

Windstopper is a bit crap to be honest, it is not very breathable, barely any more so than a traditional shell. I prefer a non membrane softshell, much more versatile. I have a montane hyena made from powersheild which is really nice and very breathable, and works both on and off the bike.

MrSalmon
    Free Member

Windstopper is a bit crap to be honest, it is not very breathable, barely any more so than a traditional shell. I prefer a non membrane softshell, much more versatile.

What he said. I’ve been disappointed by Windstopper a couple of times now and try to stick to ones that rely on a tight knit rather than a membrane. They’re not usually windproof in the absolute sense that Windstopper is, but they’re much better to actually wear because of it IMO.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a… casual windproof jacket.’ is closed to new replies.