Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • recommend me a camping stove for a family of 4
  • Travis

Going camping for the first time in years next month.
    Although I’m tempted for pubs for lunch / dinner… and maybe the odd BBQ (only away for 6 nights) the wife may think different.
    Wouldn’t mind cooking some good breakfast / brunch….

Suggestions please.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

I’m currently shopping around for one too. Assuming you’re not after one that is small and portable for back packing, I’m starting to settle on the Campingaz partygrill 400 or 600 for its flexibility (or something similar). It can be a BBQ or a normal stove or a flat plate or an oven. Packs up reasonably small.

Failing that Aldi are doing a nice 2-ring stove with toasting grill for £25 and looked a carbon copy of an equivalent Campingaz model at upwards of £100, so one of those with a griddle might also work.

ransos
    Free Member

I use a couple of the small suitcase stoves which take a gas cartridge. They’re absolutely fine.

ads678

We’ve (2 adults and 2 kids) got a double gas burner with a grill but don’t use it now since we bought Cadac Safari Chef. We also take a small single hiking type burner for the odd occasion we need another.

The Cadac is great, I also bought a pizza stone to go with but haven’t used it yet.

http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/cadac-safari-chef-2-p366838?gclid=CPWmmPrxg9UCFWG17QodKZADpQ&gclsrc=aw.ds

stumpy01

We’ve got a 2 burner cooker with grill, very similar to the Campingaz ones.

It works really well, although the grill isn’t up to much.

I’d recommend a specific table for it, preferably one with a windshield for the cooker. Even though the sides of the cookers often act as windshields, they aren’t very good.
    We use a folding table with a windbreak around it; it makes a big difference to cooking time.

stevemtb
    Free Member

Do you have to cook them all at once?

Travis

sometimes I am tempted too…..

winston
    Free Member

as above, have a Cadac Safari Chef LP (the one which takes larger gas bottles) and haven’t touched our camping Gaz dual burner since either.

We have the Pizza stone as well and it works but its only small so you need to make a pizza each!

Cadac is superb and the only downside is its a single burner but that hasn’t really been a problem as its so quick. We also have a small single burner hiking stove just in case – ads678, are we the same family?

thenorthwind

I use a couple of the small suitcase stoves which take a gas cartridge. They’re absolutely fine.

+1 no point in over-complicating things

johndoh
    Free Member

Another here with a two ring stove with grill. I also have a couple of suitcase stoves too for when we’re being a bit more adventurous with what we are cooking.

Cougar

I had one of the small suitcase stoves which take a gas cartridge. It was bloody awful, I threw it in the bin.

Mind you, it was Gelert branded and I don’t think I ever bought one of their products that was fit for purpose.

core

I’ve got two el-cheapo suitcase type stoves, years old, always been faultless. For the odd occasion and if you only need a single ring, they’re bob on. No need for anything posher. For the price of them, as said, you could just get two if you think you need two rings.

carlosg
    Free Member

We had one of the older Aldi ones for 8 years before it died, it has been replaced with the folding one that they had on offer a couple of weeks ago.
    They come with a regulator for Campingaz bottles but we changed it for one that fits butane bottles as Campingaz bottles are massively overpriced.

joshvegas
    Free Member

I like to live dangerously

Petrol powered Coleman double ring.

It’s amazing

And it goes WOOOOSH

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Cadac is superb and the only downside is its a single burner but that hasn’t really been a problem as its so quick

That’s why I like the look of the party grill 600 as it looks large enough to be able to accommodate two pans on the hotplate.

winston
    Free Member

I don’t think the party Grill is nearly as good quality as the Cadac
    they really are well designed and well put together – perhaps look at the carri chef?

molgrips
    Free Member

I had one of those. Awful. The second ring was fed off the first, so to turn it up you had to turn the second ring valve then fettle the first one to try and get it back to where it was before. To turn up the first you had to increase that one and then close the second valve. Massive pain in the arse.

Got rid.

ransos
    Free Member

For the price of them, as said, you could just get two if you think you need two rings.

Yeah, we take one for weekend trips and two if we’re camping for longer. I can fit two side by side on top of my camping kitchen, and fit a windshield round them. I suppose that disposable gas cartridges are a bit wasteful, but I’m still using the same multipack I bought three years ago.

ads678

ads678, are we the same family?

No sugar in mine please darling.

gray

I just got one of these:

https://www.jetboil.com/Genesis-Base-Camp-System/

It’s good, but wasn’t terribly cheap.

greentricky
    Free Member

Another vote for the suitcase option, cheap and easy and gets the job done

Tiger6791

Cadac Safari Chef! – Just superb!

Party grill is rubbish, you can have mine, just sits in the garage getting tripped over since we got the Cadac

Also have a cheap suitcase cartridge stove for the odd time we need a 2nd ring.

jairaj

If it’s just the onc camping trip you’re doing then another vote for the suitcase stoves.

I have one and it works great. Nice and stable even on uneven ground. Stays lit in windy conditions (although gets water boiling quicker with a wind shield). Often on special offers for ~£10.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Tiger, what makes you say the party grill is rubbish? I’d expect the cadac to be better as it’s significantly more expensive and most reviews are in favour of the cadac, but I’ve not read any reviews that say the partygrill is rubbish and reports of plenty of satisfied partygrill users. What was it that you found undatisfyin with the partygrill?

There are some features with the partygrill that look better, like the reversible grill/hot plate, which is why I was leaning towards the partygrill, as well as the cost.

By the way I’m comparing the partygrill 600 and the cadac Carrie chef 2.

joshvegas
    Free Member

molgrips – Member
    I had one of those. Awful. The second ring was fed off the first, so to turn it up you had to turn the second ring valve then fettle the first one to try and get it back to where it was before. To turn up the first you had to increase that one and then close the second valve. Massive pain in the arse.

Got rid.

But it goes WOOOSH.

It’s fiddly i’ll grant you but the burn time on one green petrol bottles measured in days and easy to fill up.

bitasuite
    Free Member

Slightly different solution but we always try to get an electric pitch and take our instant pot pressure cooker. Can rustle up some proper meals quite easily with it and saves on all the faff

trailwagger
    Free Member

This is the stove you seek…

https://www.camping-intl.com/products/accessories/cadac-2-cook-deluxe-stove/

double burner, so you can have two pots on the go, or convert one or both into a grill plate. excellent bit of kit. I cook for our family of six on it no problem.

Kahurangi

£100!!!!!!!!!!!

For one trip you’re best off dropping £10-£12 on a suitcase style one (or two) and £4 on some butane cartridges.

Get some half decent pans to make life much easier.

the-muffin-man

All those look like solutions looking for a problem – you can’t go wrong with a two burner Camping Gaz one – and only £36!

https://www.camping-intl.com/products/accessories/campingaz-camping-chef-folding-stove/

For BBQs – just get good disposable ones if you are just testing the camping water. (but check your campsites BBQ guidance).

trailwagger
    Free Member

It may be £100 but it will save you more than that in one week, eating out for a family of four gets VERY expensive Very quickly!

lets say £50 each meal in a pub, at £12 ish a head.
    Two meals a day
    £600 in a week.

Or

£100 for a grill, £150 for ingredients
    £250 for the week.

I know what i`d do

GrahamS

We recently bought a CampingGaz Elite (£45 for GoOutdoors, minus Scout discount)

It’s pretty basic, two rings and a small ‘grill’ (fairly ineffectual but useful for keeping food warm). Does the job though it doesn’t have the fancy wind-baffles of the more expensive stoves so it may be a pain on a windy day.
    Requires a separate gas canister and regulator.

(Think this might be the same as the one the-muffin-man was linking to for £36, but when we got it from GoOutdoors they were bundling it with a ‘free’ regulator)

trail_rat
    Free Member

Got one of them camping Gaz elites from the 1980s top bit of kit.

Used to use it always when camping, inherited it from the folks Actually miss it now we have the van the smev units are too cramped and we have no grill anymore.

ransos
    Free Member

It may be £100 but it will save you more than that in one week, eating out for a family of four gets VERY expensive Very quickly!

lets say £50 each meal in a pub, at £12 ish a head.
    Two meals a day
    £600 in a week.

Or

£100 for a grill, £150 for ingredients
    £250 for the week.

I know what i`d do

Or spend £30 on two suitcase stoves and some gas.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Just get decent suitcase stoves as I’ve seen some horrors that couldn’t boil a kettle in a
    a week. and to always remove the gas after use don’t travel in the car with them still in the stove.

gray

We had a two burner thingy and it was rubbish, hence splashing out a million pounds or thereabouts on the Jetboil thingy. We might have just been unlucky in our first choice though!

molgrips
    Free Member

The Cadac Safari Chef – what’s the food end up like? I mean it’s not a barbecue, is it? But you could cook vegetables on that hotplate and possibly boil stuff on it too, no?

mechanicaldope

The Cadac Safari Chef – what’s the food end up like? I mean it’s not a barbecue, is it? But you could cook vegetables on that hotplate and possibly boil stuff on it too, no?

No answer to your question but have been looking at getting one of these. There are two versions apparently – an HP and a LP. The HP uses screw in gas canisters where as the LP requires a traditional gas bottle and regulator etc. Apparently the HP version is meant to be a bit rubbish as a BBQ as doesn’t generate enough heat. The LP is meant to be fine.

brassneck

All those look like solutions looking for a problem – you can’t go wrong with a two burner Camping Gaz one – and only £36!

https://www.camping-intl.com/products/accessories/campingaz-camping-chef-folding-stove/

For BBQs – just get good disposable ones if you are just testing the camping water. (but check your campsites BBQ guidance).

That. We also take a small ‘proper’ BBQ and some self lighting bags.

The only downside is the initial cost of a gas cylinder can be steep, but as we use it for several weeks of a year it works best for us. Cooking for a family of 5 on those mini cartridge stoves doesn’t work for us, they barely last a weekend, but they are a decent occasional option.

chewkw
    Free Member

Get two of this at £10 each with some gas canisters.

GoSystem Dynasty Compact II Stove at GoOutdoors

The gas canister looks like this. at £0.93 each from Wow Camping.

You can also buy all of the above from Tesco. 😛

molgrips
    Free Member

The LP is meant to be fine

Good to know – we’d be using it with the caravan and I’ll either fit an external gas point or bung a second bottle in the gas locker.

It’s either that or a Weber Go Anywhere charcoal job.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘recommend me a camping stove for a family of 4’ is closed to new replies.