Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Recommend me a broadband provider
  • SamB
    Free Member

We currently have broadband through Sky, but my housemate (who opened the account) is moving out. So I need to look into a replacement. We don’t have the option of fibre, so need to stick to regular broadband.

Sky have been fine, consistent ~700KB/s download speed which is enough for a couple of iplayer streams (we were originally with Be, who got bought by O2, who got bought by Sky). Phone line is currently with BT – if we can switch both to a single provider and save some cash that would be a bonus.

Any recommendations for decent providers? Note that they need to be unlimited data-wise, we get through a LOT of streaming media 😀

tomkerton
    Free Member

Plusnet. Bloody great.

ecksee
    Free Member

Will second PlusNet. Have been a customer for several years now, always well priced, excellent support and never had an outage.

jaffejoffer
    Free Member

im on plusnet too, bang on.

i would certainly never buy Virgin on account of how shit the broadband is on Virgin trains! i know they are in no way connected but still…

dannybgoode

I have Virgin and if speeds your thing and you have it in the area I would recommend.

Customer service had been ok each time I’ve called. The only caveat I’d apply is use the Superhub (never had anything been so inappropriately named) as a modem only and but a wireless router to plug into it.

hammyuk
    Free Member

EE – pay for the line rental in one (makes it £11 a month) and £2.50 for broadband – isn’t anyone else near that

gribble
    Free Member

Interested in this. Finally made the decision to bin BT, as quite frankly their service has been dire. 0.5 mb/ps last night. Whoop whoop.

I was thinking of Plusnet, on account of the reports from other people.

Would rather pay a couple of quid more and receive some sort of service – on ‘instant chat’ last night BT had a 12 min delay…rang them up instead and they said they would ring back in 30 mins. Yeah, slam my nuts in a drawer rather than feed me a line of poop.

hammyuk
    Free Member

EE are UK based, straight through

andyl
    Free Member

Not Plusnet.

bunch of useless knobbers. We paid £90 just to get out of the contract with them they were so bad.

luffy105
    Free Member

Plusnet are still bt though aren’t they? The connection will be no different technically just the customer service will. After all BT own them

gribble
    Free Member

all, I think the main reason for my move would specifically be the customer service. that is my main gripe with BT, alongside the slow speed.

kcal

PlusNet have been fine for me since 2004 – when I needed internet. Not the cheapest, and you have to keep an eye on the tariffs (ended up on a not good value one) but now unlimited, b/band and phone, reasonable speed (looking forward to FTTC).

soundninjauk

Tell Sky you want to leave, and see what they offer you. We were on O2 broadband/BT line rental originally, and said we wanted to move away from Sky when our contract ran out. They offered us £10 a month all in for broadband and phone/line rental as a ‘please keep using us’ deal. My neighbour then did exactly the same thing.

When this deal runs out we’ll switch to fibre and ditch the land line completely. Fed up with BT’s prices.

We also just got PlusNet at work, and it’s horrendous to the point of being unusable. We’re all sat here tethered to our phones at the moment.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a broadband provider’ is closed to new replies.