Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • recommend me… a book on Linux command line
  • Verbal-Kint
    Free Member

as title suggests, just installed and need to get to grips with command line
    Ta

samuri
    Free Member

Sorry, I've just re-read your post, the book above might not be what you want.

The command line is a complex beast, there are thousands of commands available to you, each one could fill a small book with it's usage. The book I've posted explains how the command line, or shell, works as a seperate program (and also goes on to explain how shell scripting works).

Is this what you want or are you more concerned on what each of the commands do? In which case the best place is the included manual.

man man

Verbal-Kint
    Free Member

thanks for the suggestion, I'm a relative beginner so looking more at getting to grips with the basics, downloaded a book on command line, but really need something on paper as reading large amounts on screen screws up my eyes

The suggestions on the amazon page has "Linux in Nutshell" which may be what I am looking for

Waderider
    Free Member

The command line is a moving target, books go out of date but the internet evolves. I'd print from the net. Obviously the problem then is sorting the wheat from the chaff. Also, start getting a magazine, Linux Format is more beginner friendly than Linux User.

Verbal-Kint
    Free Member

thanks for the suggestions, further use of google has given me some good on-line resources, and I'm just off out and will check out the magazine option

toys19
    Free Member

I use the net as my linux command line reference, Google finds everything you need but if you are newbie then there are loads of good intro books anything by O'Reilly is normally comprehensive..

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘recommend me… a book on Linux command line’ is closed to new replies.