• This topic has 8 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by bubs.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Recommend me a Bank Holiday campsite: Isle of Purbeck, Jurassic Coast
  • no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

Looking for the moon on a stick really… a quiet, pleasant campsite to stay at on the busiest weekend of the year, at the most crowded holiday destination in the UK.

Perhaps somewhere tucked away from the coast might have it?

Your thoughts please.. 🙂

burko73

Primrose Hill Farm just up the hill from Harmans Cross towards Langton Matravers.

here:

Longitude: -2.018002
    Latitude: 50.614264OS Grid Ref: SY 9872 7946

Its an old farmer boy with a field or two and toilets/ showers in the old cowsheds. Its the one we use if its busy everywhere else. He only charges about £5 per person a night if I remember. he’s only open from May bank hol to the end of August.

You are 10 mins from Swanage in the car, a walk to the pub/ shop/ post office (1.8KM) in Langton Matravers, the coast path (3.2KM) or Worth Matravers for the Square and Compass pub(2.5KM). You can walk down the hill (600 yds) and get the steam train to Corfe or Swanage.

Its a good alternative to Toms Field or Acton Fields. Theres also a C&C Club formal affiar down the hill 500 yds by the steam train station which is a bit stuffy.

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

Bang on!

Cheers.. 😀

Dorset_Knob
    Free Member

I’d consider that one in Puncknowle, if everywhere else was booked up. Home Farm?

Never used it myself, but I used to live just round the corner and it always seemed nice and quiet, and there’s the village pub next door.

It can get a bit misty round thereabouts, mind.

Dorset_Knob
    Free Member

…and then you’ve got Hive Beach Cafe just down the round. Book yourselves in for a breakfast.

brassneck

I like Burnbake as it’s a nice cycle to Studland, but it wont be quiet. I doubt there will be room to pitch a toilet tent.

Noting burko73’s one though for future reference 🙂

Alternate at the other end of the coast is the one at Uplyme – more organised but none the worse for it, walking distance into Lyme Regis.

Somewhere in the middle? The missus is at Eweleaze, Osmington Mills right now with her coven and the children for a couple of nights – one of the other witches raved about it, so I’ll get a report this evening. It;’s another season only site I think.

redstripe
    Free Member

Go east a bit to the New Forest and camp at the Big Bike Bash http://www.bigbikebash.co.uk that weekend, perfect combination of bikes, beer and bands etc

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

Thanks guys – some great ideas there 🙂

bubs

Primrose hill farm does look good. Is there usually any etiquette around the length of stay? As a complete camping novice, I figure one night here looks more fun for the family (and I love Corfe castle) than the garden practice I had lined up. Thanks

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a Bank Holiday campsite: Isle of Purbeck, Jurassic Coast’ is closed to new replies.