• This topic has 6 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by tdog.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Recommend me a 27.5+ rim for plus tyres?
  • theroadwarrior
    Free Member

So I’m building up an Ogre frame to try out 27.5+.

I need a wheelset and I’m finding it hard to choose a rim.

It needs to have sufficient internal width, 30mm plus but I don’t want to go as wide a a Rabbit-hole at 50mm internal.

I want to run 3″ tyres such as WTB ranger or Maxxis Chronicle set up tubeless.

I’m using 36 holes hubs (Alfine 11 out back and PD8 dynamo hub at the front). Lots of rims are 32 holes only.

Disc only of course, and ideally my local bike shop that will do the build needs to be able to buy them in.

Currently I’m looking at the Mavic EX830 with a 30mm internal width. I know they should work tubelsss, they’re good quality and a reasonable price at 55-66£ each.

Other options would be the velocity blunt35- but getting it in the UK in a 36 hole seems hard.

The WTB scraper looks ok and is wider at 40 or 45 internal(I’d go 40 to avoid too square a tyre footprint) but 32 hole only.

The DT XM551 also looks nice and wide- but it’s 28 or 32 hole only.

Anything I’ve missed?

nixie

Other than weight can’t see any reason not to use 45 internal rims. They do not produce a square profile on 3″ tyres.

For comparison I’m using 45mm internal on my plus bike with 3″ tyres and 35mm my normal bike with 2.4″ tyres.

If you are set on 35mm then there is also the halo vapour 35 (they also do a wider version for proper plus bike width). It’s cheaper than the other options, even more so if you take advantage of the tredz £5 off an order offer (it says first order but I’ve used it about 6 times now).

tdog
    Free Member

Can only say good things about Ibis 738 wheelset so far, same cannot be said for Schwalbe NNs as found a tear starting in sidewall just a couple of shortish rides out on them.

scotroutes

The Scraper i45 was designed to be used with 2.8 – 3″ tyres. It will not make the profile “too square “. It does seem like you’ve a limited choice due to spoke count though.

theroadwarrior
    Free Member

What 45mm internal rims are you using Nixie?

Agreed on the limitation of 36 holes- however I already have the hubs and buying a new Alfine and dynamo hub will significantly add to the cost of this experiment.

nixie

I’m using the alpkit rumpus wheels however I’m thinking of building a set it scrapers or vapour 50s so I can use different hubs.

tdog
    Free Member

Ooops! It looks like I missed the 36 hole hub compatibility.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a 27.5+ rim for plus tyres?’ is closed to new replies.