Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Recommend an mp3 player
  • cinnamon_girl

My Creative Zen has died and is refusing to be resuscitated. 🙁

Just to be crystal clear, I do not want anything that has an ‘i’ in it.

As always, thanks. 🙂

Alphabet

Looks like you may have to widen your criteria to include an ‘i’ 😆

scruff
    Free Member

I’ve got 2 Sony ones, most robust, small and good batteries. I use media player to transfer as iTunes is up its own arse and wont play nice with one of them, although you can just drag & drop.

molgrips
    Free Member

Get a nice phone that does it?

flyingmonkeycorps

Cowon ones are lovely but expensive.

cinnamon_girl

Thanks for the replies!

I have no wish to join the herd so happy to look at Creative and to know of others that are out there.

Get a nice phone that does it?

No but will be putting my 3 week old smart phone in the Classifieds soon! Haven’t even looked at putting muzak on there.

cinnamon_girl

It does tend to get used mainly in the car. 🙂

D0NK

I got one of the older version of these for when I’m out riding/running/shopping only 4Gb but does the job and not arsed if it gets broke, cpl years old surviving well so far.

Edit if it’s for in the car and less likely to get broken I’d be tempted to get an ipod classic and stick all your tunes on it.
    sorry
    🙂

wooobob

I’ve got a Sandisk Sansa+. Simple yet effective. Good sound. Bit ‘retro’ 😀

30 quid, plus it’ll take a micro SD.

stumpy01

wooobob – Member
    I’ve got a Sandisk Sansa+. Simple yet effective. Good sound. Bit ‘retro’

30 quid, plus it’ll take a micro SD.

Good call.

I’ve been looking for a decent capacity MP3 player for a while. I don’t really want the capacity of the iPod classic and don’t want the touchscreen ‘smart phone, but not a phone’ capabilities of the iPod Touch.

Expansys are currently doing a class 10 32Gb Micro SD card for £23 and you can get an 8Gb Sandisk Sansa for £35 or so. Hmmm, £55 for 40Gb worth of MP3 player looks like a good buy….

D0NK

Hmmm, £55 for 40Gb worth of MP3 player looks like a good buy….

oooh something to think about if mine ever dies.

molgrips
    Free Member

Wonder why you bought a smartphone if you didn’t want what it did?

cheese@4p

I was looking to replace my old Zen with a newer one but reviews look very dissapointing. Seems they have gone right downhill.

cinnamon_girl

Thanks for latest replies!

molgrips – it’s a basic smartphone and I thought it would be easier for me to use due to swollen fingers with not much dexterity. I got it wrong. 😳

bigjim

I’ve got a sansa clip zip or something and its great, tiny and light, much better headphones than come with twatPods too.

choron
    Free Member

+1 for Cowon. Great sound quality without any of the ridiculous grief that you get from apple.

molgrips
    Free Member

molgrips – it’s a basic smartphone and I thought it would be easier for me to use due to swollen fingers with not much dexterity. I got it wrong

Oh I see.. hmm.. I assume you looked at several options? There are a few things to consider.. but I’m hijacking…

VanHalen

I use my phone. have done for yonks.

I dont see the point of a seperate music player anymore.

cinnamon_girl

Been digging around and, yeah, the latest Creative Zen is not getting good reviews.

So … tell me about Cowon.

Feel free to point and laugh at me but I just prefer a separate ‘Master’ rather than ‘Jack’. 🙄

molgrips
    Free Member

In general I agree, but my smart phone plays music and organises my songs. No idea how a dedicated player could or would be any better.

stumpy01

cinnamon_girl – Member

Feel free to point and laugh at me but I just prefer a separate ‘Master’ rather than ‘Jack’.

I’m the same. Plenty of reasons why I don’t want my phone to be my mp3 player. I’d rather have a dedicated unit for that.

The Cowon ones look pretty good, actually. Just not sure I need the fancy big colour screens though for something that just plays music. Rather have something I can chuck in my bag and not worry about getting scuffed up.

molgrips
    Free Member

Plenty of reasons why I don’t want my phone to be my mp3 player.

Go on..?

stumpy01

– Precious about my phone screen getting scratched, but not about my current mp3 player, as it ‘just’ plays music so gets slung in my bag….

– Battery life far superior. Rarely have to worry about whether my iPod is charged, whereas my phone needs charging every day or thereabouts.

– Can leave my ipod plugged into stereo/speakers and leave it there or leave it in my work bag.

– current mp3 player is far smaller than my phone.

– I like having discrete things that do certain jobs, rational or not.

– other half can borrow ipod and I still have my phone on me.

– losing/damaging my ipod seems like it will be a lot less of a pain than losing my phone.

a11y

After my Creative Zen Vision M died I tried a Sansa Fuze+ (I think) but couldn’t get on with the user interface. Sold it and bought a 16gb Sony NWZ-A865 which is much easier to use but a good bit more £££. I’m having to be more selective with music as I moved from having 30gb previously…

I really wanted to like the Sansa – SQ was great plus I had 40gb of capacity – but it just frustrated me!

cinnamon_girl

(Slightly relieved that I’m not the only person who prefers stand-alone devices).

Can’t decide how much gb I actually need, although 40 sounds a huge amount!

CountZero

C_g, does your car head unit have a USB input? If so, then you could probably use one of these:
    http://www.7dayshop.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=777_6&products_id=113503
    £32.53 for 64Gb of storage seems pretty decent to me, and you could just leave it in the car all the time.

seosamh77
    Free Member

Van Halen – Member
    I use my phone. have done for yonks.

I dont see the point of a seperate music player anymore.Aye, 40gb microsd and away you go.

cinnamon_girl

OK, just thought I would update this thread …

After lots of head scratching, I bought a Cowon for £120. Put a large number of my albums on it easily enough. Then had surgery so couldn’t drive for yonks so it didn’t get used. When I came to use it, and yes I did recharge the battery, it did not work. 🙁

So after lots of e-mails between the third party seller, the original retailer has now decided to refund me.

Here we are again so what mp3 player to use in the car for around £120?

As always, thanks. 🙂

sadexpunk

i just bought this sansa clip zip 8Gb. theyre usually £50 but both amazon and play.com doing em at £35. shouldnt think theyll stay that price for long.

its tiny and clips onto clothing. couple em with a decent set of earphones and youre still looooooads under £120 🙂

im gonna plug it into aux socket in me car too instead of cds.

bellerophon
    Free Member

Quite easy really… SanDisk sansa… Has that been mentioned? I

Cougar

Smartphone of choice?

breadcrumb

I’m not an Apple fan-boi but iPods are great at what they do IMO. Plenty of docks etc too.

I have the current Nano the battery life is top notch.

mikey74
    Free Member

Smartphone of choice?

Someone hasn’t been readng the whole thread have they? :mrgreen:

I can second the recommendations for the SanDisk ones: I have the old style Fuze and it is great. The new Fuze is supposed to be pants though, so go for the Clip Zip instead.

seadog101

Seems like the Sansa ones are getting a big sell here. I’ve had two of them now, and they are fab.

Got my 8Gb Clip+ for £24:99, and then popped in a 16Gb microSD £10.

Sounds great, clippy bit on the back. Also, truely beneficial feature here, it works brilliantly! Don’t need proprietory (iPoons) software to push/pull/sync the music.

Del

sansa clip 8gb too. great sound, but i managed to kill mine. have to warranty it through amazon. i’ll let you know how i get on.
    it is nice, the clip bit makes it marginally larger than my previous zen stone. but ffs don’t tell it you live in europe or it’ll limit the volume to ‘not quite loud enough’, for your own good of course. 🙄

coolhandluke
    Free Member

I’ve got 2 Sony ones, most robust, small and good batteries. I use media player to transfer as iTunes is up its own arse and wont play nice with one of them, although you can just drag & drop.

+1

Drag and drop through WMP is ace compared to ITunes. Also, Sony MP3 players are easy to operate in the pocket too.

In fact got a Sony NWZ S639 going spare if interested, in a case since new and with screen protector so should be pretty nice.

Needs headphones.

Let me know if you are interested.

sadexpunk

but ffs don’t tell it you live in europe or it’ll limit the volume to ‘not quite loud enough’, for your own good of course.

good point, ive got mine set to ‘rest of world’. europe limits the volume as del says…..

cookeaa

I know you don’t like apple. I’m not a fan either but I have to say my 2nd gen shuffle is about tbe best mp3 player I’ve ever owned: diddy, silly long battery life, no touch screens or such nonsense, robust and clips to clothes and a cup holder in the car with no fuss easily better VFM than anything else I looked at if it dies I’ll buy tge current one without any hesitation… sorry… not a jobsonite honest…

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Sansas are good, but make sure your phones are decent as they seem to suffer if you need to apply much EQ. Cowon are good and sound very good, although I have had two that eventually died on me.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

The topic ‘Recommend an mp3 player’ is closed to new replies.