Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Recommend a technical ride in the Brecons
  • acjim
    Free Member

Planning a trip for 2 days of riding in the Brecons, one route will likely be a version of the Black mtn killer loop / classic (y das etc) but I need suggestions for the 2nd ride. I'd really like something with at least one techy downhill. Don't mind travelling a bit from our base in Brecon (40min max drive i guess)

Any suggestions?

thanks

stills8tannorm
    Free Member

I'd say do the Gap road … do it in the right direction and you'll get you descent. You can ride from Brecon.

You find that you're riding in the Beacons not the Brecons … Brecon is just the town 😉

acjim
    Free Member

thanks for the tip – doh!

Is the Gap worth it then? I always get a slight fear that the renowned trails of "yesteryear" like the Gap will be a wee bit tame (can't shake images of 80s blokes in fluoro rattling down on rigid gates) 🙂

stills8tannorm
    Free Member

Plenty of rock steps at the top and enough to keep you interested for the rest … I often gauge a descent by how many push down it and the top section of the Gap sees a few.

acjim
    Free Member

great thanks – the pushing scale is a good measure. Is it possible to add another climb and descent to the Gap?

brakeswithface

Usual gap route loops around to the east and comes back over the moors, very good.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

The main descent of The Gap is quite wide but with lots of rocks. The opening part is steppy and committing the rest is loose and rocky and tricky to control at speed on a FS – good scary fun.

The steepish bit by the ravine near the dam adds interest too.

When you get to the gate at the bottom, go through and look for a wooded bridleway that follows down a stream bed – nice and narrow and full of rocks/steps – it reminds me slightly of the The Chimney on the Qs though more pedally – good bike wrestling.

Overall, the route is easier than the Y Das one. I'm sure there are plenty more techy variations tucked away but I don't know them.

have fun!

mrmo
    Free Member

having ridden the gap i would say not alot of technical for the miles you have to cover. I would say the worst part going south to north is the river crossing much further towards the beginning of the climb

Chew
    Free Member

The Gap, is a very good ride but i wouldn't say its that technical, but an excellent all day ride that you can start from the centre of Brecon.

It holds up well to the weather too, so if it keeps on raining its fine.

Y Das, on the other hand, doesnt hold up to all of this rain we've been having, so may be unrideable.

Ask on http://www.mtb-wales.com and a local maybe able to tell you more.

acjim
    Free Member

cheers, this isn't planned until July so (fingers crossed) we'll have some sun and the trails will be dry as a bone (yeah right).

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Recommend a technical ride in the Brecons’ is closed to new replies.