Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Recommend a large(ish) volume 29er tyre
  • the00
    Free Member

My Halo Choir Boy has been pretty good on the front of my rigid 29er, but the sidewalls are showing signs of wear after about 4yrs of abuse.

I’m quite tempted to go for a direct replacement, but the market has plenty more choice now. What else is about, at ~2.4″ wide?

the00
    Free Member

Schwable Hans Dampf looks ok, though maybe a bit heavy. Anyone tried it?

big_scot_nanny

Ardent is my go to choice, great in most conditions except slop. Big cushy volume, light-ish, rolls fast, handles rocks and stuff well.

big_scot_nanny

Ooh, and yes, I have the Hans Dampf trailstar compunds on at the moment (too wet here for Ardent). The grip is staggeringly good in all conditions, but they feel very heavy and draggy.

the00
    Free Member

I use a Maxxis Crossmark 2.1 at the back which does a sterling job, but is a bit small and skinny for the front…

Rorschach
    Free Member

Bonty xr4
    Conty Mountain King 2.4
    Maxxy ardent 2.25 (2.4 is HUUGE)

weeksy

I prefer the Hans, but nothing wrong with the Ardents and they are indeed large volume.

the00
    Free Member

Other options include the Schwalbe Racing Ralph and the Continental X-King, but both look a bit light and low on tread…

Thanks for the recommendation of the Ardents, they are top of my shortlist so far. It’s nice and dry here, so I’ll not consider the Hans.

the00
    Free Member

Hmmm, actually tempted by the 2.25 Ardent now. Are the good reports still valid for this smaller size?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Recommend a large(ish) volume 29er tyre’ is closed to new replies.