• This topic has 17 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by 1978.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Recommend a good quality camping lantern
  • tricky-dicky
    Free Member

Would like something to illuminate family sized tent which could be used to read by, play cards etc in evenings. Any suggestions max budget of £50.
    Thanks

neninja
    Free Member

Rechargeable, battery powered or mains hook up?

ohnohesback
    Free Member

Wind-up or ‘Hand-Cranked’ as our cuzzens from the Yew Ess Ay call then?

Bimbler
    Free Member

I’m looking for something to replace our never very good fluorescent light.

Now the kids are a bit older tending towards Gas (campingagaz jobbie, brightest + nice light “color”). Some of the LED lanterns seem get good reviews and should be much better than the stuff available a few years ago if they’ve followed the trend of bike lights.

Bimbler
    Free Member

So either

LED lantern

Plus some D batteries

or maybe

Camping Gaz lantern

Plus Gas canisters and mantles,

gas is nicerer but LED won’t burn your tent down hmmmm

neninja
    Free Member

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ring-Cyba-Lite-Vega-Led-Lantern/dp/B002FW3TF4/ref=pd_sim_sbs_sg_1

These are good (the same light as the more expensive Outwell 300LX). Wind up ones generally fade quickly and if away for more than a few days I prefer batteries to rechargeable.

I be tempted to also get an Alpkit Bulb for if someone wants to read in their own sleeping pod. http://www.alpkit.com/shop/cart.php?target=product&product_id=16376&category_id=253

bigrich

20 kilos of wood, five litres if petrol, a match. too easy. slab of beer for cooling purposes.

dave_rudabar
    Free Member

Just don’t buy the cheap ones from supermarkets, etc – i’ve been through 3 various ones each <£10 but they’re all pap.

freddyg
    Free Member

The alpkit bulb, recommended above, is very good – and for £50 you can buy three and spend a fiver on pies.

iainc

i have now just bought one of those Alpkit bulbs and didn’t even need it. darned STW lunchtime surfing 😀

footflaps

Alpkit Bulb +1

ericemel
    Free Member

Alpkit bulb

MikeG

I’ve just got one of the ring vega ones linked above, it’s excellent. It gave enough light in a 4x3m trailer tent awning to read a magazine on low and it was on for about 2 hours each night on one set of batteries and it still seems as bright as when the batteries went in.
    The only downside is it casts a shadow directly above and below it but unless you are sitting directly below it you wont notice.

tricky-dicky
    Free Member

Thanks for all replies, I had been looking at the Coleman dual fuel lanterns having tried various led’s and battery/wind up styles before. Anyone else used this type?
    Richard

el-Gato-Negro
    Free Member

I have a coleman dual fuel, great!!! warms the tent as well.
    Have used them of family camping trip since I was a kid.

Which reminds me, I need some lamp fuel for mountain Mayhem.

Free Member

If you have the space and weight isn’t an issue, I’d go for a Coleman Northstar. You should be able to pick up a nice used one for your budget and they are superb things. I have one as well as a couple of Tilley Lanterns I inherited from my dad. They are just nicer in every way, the light they give off is warm and not horrible white led glare. You won’t regret it. The Tilleys are lovely too, but the mantles can be a bit delicate if you’re not careful with them….

Free Member

Made in the UK since 1920 and largely unchanged since then! These are superb.

http://www.tilleylamp.co.uk/catalog/index.php

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Recommend a good quality camping lantern’ is closed to new replies.