Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • recommend a book for someone new to DSLRs
  • brakes
    Free Member

I’m off to New Zealand on Wednesday (woot!) armed with my new digital SLR.
    I’ll have a bit of time to waste on the plane, so can anyone recommend a concise(ish) book on photography for digital SLRs?
    something portable too, like paperback sized. needs to cover using the camera as well as how to take pictures of different subjects.

thanks.

Rockdodger
    Free Member

The Magic Lantern guides are very good and will give you an understanding of your camera and its functions.This is a good place to start.
    What make and model is the new camera.

brakes
    Free Member

thanks, will look that up.
    it’s a Canon 1000D.

MrSparkle

The Wasp factory by Iain Banks.

Hth.

brakes
    Free Member

that doesn’t help
    I’ve already read it

rondo101
    Free Member

“The digital photography book” by Scott Kelby

edit: linky

TijuanaTaxi
    Free Member

Some of the magazine type books that they sell in WH Smiths are very good
    Usually produced by the monthly photo magazine titles and are usually up to date, not bad value for around 7 quid or so

Shame you didn’t post earlier got a couple you could have had for free, still can if you are anywhere near Cambridge, but bit late to post for Wednesday I reckon

meehaja
    Free Member

theres a guide in telco for £7 in the magazine section, or I got a dummies guide for my camera (Nikon 90) Which was very good. they might do one for your camera or they do do a standard digital camera one. I also did a very good online course which you could print out? http://www.digital-slr-guide.com/digital-slr-camera-technique.html

Think it cost about £10 and I found it really readable and easy to understand!

HTH

brakes
    Free Member

cheers all, they all look like they could be useful 🙂

mogrim

I got the non-digital version of this one many years ago, most of the information in my copy is still relevant, and an updated version would no doubt be excellent.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘recommend a book for someone new to DSLRs’ is closed to new replies.