Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Recommend a 25-30l bike friendly rucksack
  • HermanShake
    Free Member

Hey chaps and chapettes, I’m attending some coaching sessions for my research paper and need to ride aboot with a few days kit and food on my back. I have a Deuter 28l walking bag with a lovely suspended back piece and a similar Lowe Alpine 35+10 but they don’t cut it when in a riding posture. The elevated pack feels unstable and the mesh thingy seems designed for standing up straight with. The Lowe bag gave me a lovely lump on a vertebrae from rubbing while riding out on the last one 😡

I’m thinking about the Deuter trans Alpine and liked the look of the Inov-8 but realised the zip is directly in the firing line of mud/poop/rain etc.

So ideally it’s sub 1kg, not a meshy airy back system; more a segmented foam affair and stays in place through the gnarr.

I’m well rad, it’s got to stay centred while I’m hucking and stuff 😉

Orange, blue or black would be good! Hopefully under £70. Moon on a stick?

redx

I’d say look at the Osprey Range. I’ve got a Quasar from their 24/7 range which i really like and use for commuting on the bike (only a short distance mind!), but they also do some specific bike commuting bags which I like the look of. I got mine from Go Outdoors for about £30, and it’s very well built when compared against much more expensive bags….

kayak23

Dakine Apex, or the model above in size. The Apex is 26 litre and comes in a lush blue.
    Dakine have their bike bags just…sorted. Comfortable, excellent storage distribution etc and good looks.

IainAhh
    Free Member

Osprey 30 Escapist – bike oriented bag.
    There are other sizes in the range.
    You might find it in budget if you look around.
    (I paid £68 with a discount at Evans.)
    Big enough for commuting / general bag without being too bulky.
    Nice stiff back, comfortable.
    Lots of useful compartments & pockets.
    Built in rain cover.
    Plastic toggle thingy on the outside to put your helmet on.

HermanShake
    Free Member

The Osprey Escapist 30 is looking like the winner, my wallet is wincing and telling me to put up with my Deuter Futura 28.

The commutey Osprey bags look a bit unstable and boxy, I like the look of the Dakine but can’t find it for less that £80.

The search continues…

The-Beard

I’ve got an INOV8 25L bag which is excellent for riding, it’s so light and doesn’t clip the back of my helmet when descending. If you’re worried about stuff getting filthy just wrap it in a plastic bag (I use an alpkit drybag if I’m worried about the weather). My mate has the slightly smaller one which he loves also. They’re cheaper and lighter and put the weight on your hips, what’s not to like?

boxfish
    Free Member
    damion
    Free Member

+1 for the osprey, words cant describe how good its been. Riding, running, off road, on road, commuting with lap top (riding and running) its been flawless.

No signs of trauma either, 1 year on.

HermanShake
    Free Member

I’m not worried about kit getting mucky with the Inov-8, I don’t want the zip jamming from the $#!+ flung at it thus rendering the whole bag useless. Then again it has rubber flaps along the zip edges, maybe it’ll be ok?

The Trans Alpine looks good, I’m holding out for something a bit less bulky.

I have a 15% Cotswold’s voucher from Campbell Coaching, I just need to persuade the Brighton branch to take it (it says Betwys y Coed only, but Bob thinks they may be flexible).

Bah!

HermanShake
    Free Member

AHA!

£53, 819g, 25l and well matched with an orange frame 😀

whyterider19
    Free Member

Can recommend the Osprey Manta 30. Had mine a few years now and it is one of the best pieces of gear I own.

Info on the Manta 30

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Recommend a 25-30l bike friendly rucksack’ is closed to new replies.