Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Recomend to me a road tyre.
  • andrewh
    Free Member

Hello,

Looking for something which is 700 x 23mm clincher and reasonable in the wet (not 'proper slick' like supersonics)
    Weight not an issue as not for racing. Say around £40-50 for a pair (any wiggle vouchers around?).

What is the most puncture-proof option available?

andrewh
    Free Member

A whole post on a road topic without using the word 'darkside.'

Bugger.

ojom
    Free Member

I think Duranos are the most puncture proof… may be wrong though

We like the GP4000s from Conti.

Also consider 4 season variant.

MisterT

you simply cannot beat Conti 4 Seasons…. they are the most puncture proof all weather tyres I've ever come across……

Say around £40-50 for a pair

but not quite that cheap…

Teetosugars
    Free Member

8)Well, I like 'em…

SpokesCycles
    Free Member

Conti Grand Prix Attack and Force from SJS cycles.

MrSmith
    Free Member

you can get gp4000s for £26 each (i think)
    worth the money

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

What is the most puncture-proof option available?

Specialized ArmouredDildos. (Armadillos)

scaredypants

most puncture proof I've found are spesh roubaix armadillo – 23mm carcass with extra thick rubber on (so end up 24/5 ish)
    They are slicks though and I somehow doubt they're super-grippy if damp

Also using a maxxis re-fuse just now – that is "textured" & seems pretty good for not cutting up (it's flinty gravel on the roads here – I chuck most tyres that get cut waaay before they wear out – conti 4s & gator included)

I tried a WTB thing that some place was floggin cheap & supposedly resistant – sheeeite IMO; thin, really flexy & very easily cut (about 10 miles on it til 1st puncture)

([edit] – high five for flash !)

Jimbo
    Free Member

Vittoria Open Pave. Nothing else comes close.

Kuco

I use the Conti 4 season and like them.

oldgit
    Free Member

Vittoria Diamant Pro and pro Tech. The Pro is light and has brilliant handling capabilities in the wet. Right bang in your price range.
    For the money I've found nothing to touch them for all weather racing.

MrSmith
    Free Member

siping or tread has no effect on road bike tyres. the road surface is rougher than the tyre so the tyre carcasses ability to deform (and the rubber compound) is what gives you the grip. for a slick tyre to aquaplane on a road bike (23-25c) you would need to be traveling at 90mph

the tread is just there to convince weak minds that the tyre will grip.

niloC
    Free Member

Michelin Krylion for all year use

oldgit
    Free Member

'the tread is just there to convince weak minds that the tyre will grip.'

?
    What utter rubbish, is that your opinion? It begs the question then why top pros using say something like FBMs have tread specced.

scaredypants

siping or tread has no effect on road bike tyres. the road surface is rougher than the tyre so the tyre carcasses ability to deform (and the rubber compound) is what gives you the grip. for a slick tyre to aquaplane on a road bike (23-25c) you would need to be traveling at 90mph
    the tread is just there to convince weak minds that the tyre will grip.

It's the quality of the rubber I was referring to, not the tread (only said the slick bit as he'd asked). I can't imagine big grooves ever add anything but the maxxis have a very fine grid/siping pattern and I like to think it'd make the surface of the tyre (made of hardish rubber) conform to the road better & so give better grip when marginal

edit: (It's clearly about loss of grip, not aquaplaning)

MrSmith
    Free Member

i'll trust sheldon browns judgment on this:

Bicycle tyres for on-road use have no need of any sort of tread features; in fact, the best road tyres are perfectly smooth, with no tread at all!

Unfortunately, most people assume that a smooth tyre will be slippery, so this type of tyre is difficult to sell to unsophisticated cyclists. Most tyre makers cater to this by putting a very fine pattern on their tyres, mainly for cosmetic and marketing reasons. If you examine a section of asphalt or concrete, you'll see that the texture of the road itself is much "knobbier" than the tread features of a good quality road tyre. Since the tyre is flexible, even a slick tyre deforms as it comes into contact with the pavement, acquiring the shape of the pavement texture, only while incontact with the road.

People ask, "But don't slick tyres get slippery on wet roads, or worse yet, wet metal features such as expansion joints, paint stripes, or railroad tracks?" The answer is, yes, they do. So do tyres with tread. All tyres are slippery in these conditions. Tread features make no improvement in this.

Steve-Austin
    Free Member

Conti gatorskins are cheap as chips, and top tyres for the money

Mister-P
    Free Member

I run Gatorskins on my commuter and have no problems with them at all. They may not corner quite as well as something like a 4000S but I am not a speed machine. If you want something that will not break the bank and have a decent life they are well worth a look.

andrewh
    Free Member

Thanks guys. Having a look on the google at a few of the suggestions. Found some Armildillos and some Contis going for £reasonable.

To return to the question of tread, I have some Michelin Speediums at present (which have tread) and Conti Supersonics (which don't) The Michelins are definately more grippy in the wet. However, if what is said about tread above is correct does this mean that it is the compound of the rubber that is making the diference? Or the shape of the tyre maybe? (The Michelins have a slightly squarer profile, so probably a larger contact patch) Or the fact that I seem to be a ble to get the Contis up to a higher pressure, so they may be more skittish?

MrSmith
    Free Member

a high tpi in the carcass will help deformation and grip.
    high tpi also gives a nicer ride quality (usually).

sheldon also has a few things to say about high pressure too.
    http://www.sheldonbrown.com/tires.html#pressure

oldgit
    Free Member

Agree with the tpi,though some manufacturers seem to be a bit sly with their specs on this. I can't now recall the make, but they gave a high tpi count by adding up the tpi's in each layer…..naughty.

Going to read your SB link now about pressures to seewhat the old fuddy duddy had to say.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Recomend to me a road tyre.’ is closed to new replies.