Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • recomend me a low cost broadband supplier?
  • gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

can anyone recomend a broadband supplier?

i've just jacked in talktalk after 18 miserable months of appalling service (low speeds, dropping connections at peak times etc) and don't want to replace same with same.

max i can get on my line is 1.5mb.

anyone use plusnet?

Skyliner
    Free Member

Hi, might be worth having a look online at broadbandchecker dot com. Or maybe gocompare etc! Is Talktalk really that bad? Only this weekend I have asked to migrate to them from Sky and BT saving about £30 per month on Phone and BB. Oh bum!

uplink
    Free Member

Virginmedia are OK if you're in a cabled area

obirobkeno
    Free Member

I used to be with Zen (who were great, but a little steep) but moved to TalkTalk, due to cost reductions. If you do any Skype calling or like, lots of downloading, you'll be disappointed.
    That said, if your line can only take 1.5Mbps, I was only getting 1Mbps max. That may not be true everywhere, granted, but the blurb said "up to 6Mb connection" and the line can take it.

Anyhoo, I've moved to London Village and have a nice 20Mbps Sky connection…

My comments probably don't help…

Good luck…

Rob.

AT
    Free Member

No problems with PlusNet.

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

Talktalk really that bad?

in my experience, based on two houses and longer than i care to remember with them, yes…. talktalk are appalling! although in fairness i was talking to someone the other week who lives about 10miles away and she never has had a problem.

the worst bit for me, service aside, is that its such a nightmare to talk to anyone and when you do they always read from exactly the same fault script.

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

you'll struggle to find anyone that offers much less than 'up to' 8mb

we can only get up to 1Mb but still have to pay for the 8mb service

which is nice

woffle
    Free Member

Zen were fantastic and I made the mistake of moving from them to Sky. We're out in the Sussex countryside and on their 'Connect' package as it's the only one they have available in our area.

It's pretty much unusable between 5 and 10pm which puts paid to iPlayer, Channel4 OD etc. They also heavily throttle ssh from 11am (!) onwards which is a pain when you're working from home and the easiest way of connecting to my dev network is via ssh. Their customer service is useless too – I've had their 'technical experts' admitting that they can only read from their pre-written scripts and any sort of actual technical networking help / advice is out of the question.

I'll be looking to move again in a month or so when I can afford to.

boxelder

Talktalk have been great here. Very occasional connection blips, but says 7.4mb in the box bottom right of the screen, which seems right. Unlimited free calls to landline numbers too.

sharkbait
    Free Member

I've used Metronet PAYG at my mums house which is great for lower use. About £12/month.

los
    Free Member

Anyone any recommendations for Mac-compatible providers? Virgin are annoying the hell out of me offering cheap deals to lure new customers but failing to reward the loyalty of longstanding ones 👿

soops
    Free Member

The Post Office phone and broadband is reliable, just don't ever ring customer services as they are useless!!

Andituk
    Free Member

If you're an O2 customer, their basic package is £7.50 a month, and they'll give you £75 quidco and two months free. Meaning 12 months broadband for £0.

uplink
    Free Member

Anyone any recommendations for Mac-compatible providers? Virgin are annoying the hell out of me offering cheap deals to lure new customers but failing to reward the loyalty of longstanding ones

I've been with them for years
    I rang them to complain about this
    They upped me from 10 to 20Mb, gave me a free router & reduced the monthly cost by £5

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘recomend me a low cost broadband supplier?’ is closed to new replies.