Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Reclaiming import tax on gifts?
  • tails
    Free Member

Hi, I’ve kindly been sent a wedding gift from some friends in South Korea. I’m not sure what it is but I imagine it’s of a nominal value.

Parcel Farce have intercepted it and paid import tax and added a handling fee, it seems I can’t get out of this if I want the gift and card.

How do you reclaim the tax from HMRC, are people generally successful? It’s a bit frustrating and yet another case of rip off Britain.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Tax is payable on gifts.

aracer
    Free Member

Nominal value? They must have put a value on it for PF to have paid the import tax. How much import tax has been paid?

Though “rip off Britain” is a bit of a DM comment – in the sense that you’re paying VAT on it in the same way as anything else imported to this country. The VAT which goes towards all the nice stuff like hospitals and pensions…

aracer
    Free Member

That’s not entirely true – not if they’re under a certain value and there is a higher limit before you start paying VAT on gifts (if it’s actually import duty then it’s already way over that limit). Hence being interested in how much has been paid, because it is possible it’s over the non-gift limit, but under the gift limit.

mikewsmith
    Free Member
    tails
    Free Member

The tax is just shy of £25 plus the Handling charge of £11.

I could ask them what they’ve sent, but I imagine it’s weird Korean food and strange flavoured kit kats. I don’t know them well enough for it to be of a high value.

nealglover
    Free Member

I don’t know them well enough for it to be of a high value

If you have paid import duty on it, it’s worth more than £135

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

I don’t know them well enough for it to be of a high value.

Judging from my recent wedding and the gifts received this is a false assumption.

nealglover – Member

If you have paid import duty on it, it’s worth more than £135

Isn’t the 135 also inclusive of shipping? If so depending how it’s been sent it could be 30 of gift and 110 of shipping with insurance.

tails
    Free Member

Isn’t the 135 also inclusive of shipping? If so depending how it’s been sent it could be 30 of gift and 110 of shipping with insurance.

This sounds likely as when I sent something to Korea the shipping was £90

tails
    Free Member

I feel I need to pay it but £36 is a lot of money for a pot of kimchi and green tea flavoured kitkat. lol

aracer
    Free Member

No – you pay VAT on the shipping, but not import duty. Though if the total tax paid is £25 then that’s presumably 20% VAT on £125 worth of goods (including shipping cost) and there is no import duty. Unless of course it really is food and zero rated for VAT (though to add an extra complication kit kats aren’t zero rated)…

Though it will all depend on what was put on the customs declaration form – it seems unlikely they’ll have randomly chosen a value of £125 to charge VAT on.

tails
    Free Member

So I think I’ll need to ask my friends what’s in the package, which seems a shame. If they have not labelled it as a gift I have no recourse whatsever?

aracer
    Free Member

No, but if it’s valued highly enough to attract £25 of taxes then it makes no difference whether or not it’s a gift.

footflaps

Last time this happened I told RM they could keep it. Wasn’t worth paying the fee on a T-shirt…

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Reclaiming import tax on gifts?’ is closed to new replies.