Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Recipe help
  • Cougar

I’m making Carrot & Parsnip Soup to use up some veggies left over from Christmas, using the time-honoured method of “making it up as I go along.”

I’ve currently got diced carrots and parsnips roasting in the oven along with three garlic cloves, and am caramelising an onion. I’m then going to chuck the lot into stock with a diced potato, and simmer until soup. Probably then puree half of it and mix it back in, maybe with a dollop of cream if there’s any left (or milk if not).

Question is, what herbs and spices to use? Carrots would normally be coriander, but when I’ve made spicy parsnip soup before I’ve used cumin. The Internet suggests “marjoram, thyme and parsley” as an option.

What would STW do? What would work well with this lot? (First person to wittily suggest steak gets a ban. 🙂 )

joepose
    Free Member

Wife uses “celery salt” makes the world of diff in most soups.

Cougar

I think that’s one of the few things I don’t have. Will check. (I’d have wanged celery in if I had any.)

bikebouy
    Free Member

Chestnuts ?

Pine Nuts ?

Fresh Basil ?

Smidge of Chilli ?

Splash of Worcester Sauce ?

Black or White Onion seeds ?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Just some mixed herbs would help. If you don’t have celery salt, then sweating off some finely diced celery, then adding to the onion would be nice. A pinch of dried flaked chillis will liven it up. Cumin will also go well with the carrots.

Drac

Paprika.

Oh and some form of dead animal but you’ll not want that.

xherbivorex
    Free Member

yeah, what DD said. cumin would work fine with both of those roots.

Cougar

Oh and some form of dead animal but you’ll not want that.

It would be bad form to ban a moderator, right?

Cougar

sweating off some finely diced celery

Still don’t have any.

A pinch of dried flaked chillis will liven it up. Cumin will also go well with the carrots.

Now you’re talking.

Cougar

Pine Nuts ?

Ooh. That’s an idea, I could toast them and slam them in at the end. Good shout, sir.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

(I’d have wanged celery in if I had any.)

D’oh. 😳

mogrim

Cumin. Ginger might work too.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I was thinking a bit of ground ginger too but if we keep going we’ll start getting towards the more is less end of ingredients adding. 🙂

Cougar

I have no problem with that. (-:

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Don’t go mad. Your’e only making soup!
    Is it now called ‘Carrot, parsnip, garlic, roast onion & anything else that the STW hivemind suggests soup’

Less, can often be more.

Cougar

It’s not soup, it’s alchemy.

The roast garlic didn’t work, anyway; just dried out so I’ve tossed it. Will roast it properly next time.

Cougar

Actually, you might be on to something there. It’s pretty darned nice already.

The Twitterverse suggests cardamom or nutmeg.

LadyGresley
    Free Member

What’s wrong with it just being carrot and parsnip? Too much spoiling of flavours these days with extra stuff added to be “clever”.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Boring cook alert. ^^^

Cougar

Soup in progress.

I think I’m leaning towards something spicy in the cumin / ginger spectrum. It’s quite sweet, so that needs offsetting.

Cougar

Final answer was 1/4 tsp each of ginger and cumin. And it’s MEGA.

Thanks all.

mogrim

Do I get a prize?

Cougar

Sure, there’s a bowlful left.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Real stock from your chosen animal makes a huge difference over stock cubes too.

scotroutes

On the way down or on the way back up?

Cougar

It is quite the contender for a quick game of “sick or soup”, isn’t it. More so after I took a masher to it. Was nommy though.

scotroutes

It’s the diced carrots…

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Recipe help’ is closed to new replies.