Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Reccommend me some natural rides in the Scottish Borders
  • barrykellett
    Free Member

Every year me and a few mates head over to Peebles for an annual long weekend around Glentress and Inners.
    In the past I have done the gypsy Glen route along the SUW following a GPS route from someone else. It was pretty good.

However, can you recommend any outstanding must do rides between Stranraer and peebles or within reasonable distance from Peebles on the other side, that are easy to either follow on an OS map or you have a GPS route for?

I’m thinking there must be some good riding in the lothar hills above drumlanrig? I know Rik can do landrover assisted guided rides but as probably only 2 or 3 of the group will want to do this stuff, it wont make sense financially to pay for that.

Cheers.

Barry K

Trekster

Lots of options in Lowthers OS78. Got one I need to scout soon 😉
    I do a ride from Sanqhuar to Dumfries having got an early train up. Uses some SupW then the Enterkin Burn “track” descent.

You have a couple or 3 choices of where to go from there ie via Durisdeer or via Daer Res
    Via Daer to Duris;

Then you need to head for Ae forest or Mitchelslacks farm.

Some good routes out of Moffat;

That one includes a bit of road riding out of Moffat.

This can be done from Moffat via Wamphray as a longer option;

A Wee Queensberry hike`a bike out of Ae;

Add the Portling to Kipford trail onto Dalbeattie for a bigger ride 😆

Sorry no GPS, old fashioned map.

If you happen to be in Dumfries area beforehand we could meet and I can mark your map/s, just mail me. Likewise sure Rik would oblige.
    Can do guiding if you like, assuming I am not working.

You can ride out of Drum and follow the river track up to near Sanquhar. Croos the `76 onto the Wanlockhead road. Turn left onto Auchentaggart Moor passing through the farm. Then pick up the SupW to Wanlockhead, coffee/cake at cafe and replenish water. Then up to radar station. Before reching to/radar station take track to right after end of road side barrier. Turn left through gate on left under telephone lines, this is Enterkin Burn “track” 😆 enjoy. Then make your way back to Drum via road. I go via Durisdeer and back roads.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘Reccommend me some natural rides in the Scottish Borders’ is closed to new replies.