Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Reccomend me a road saddle
  • Shack
    Free Member

Just picked up an old road bike for my winter commute. Its got an old turbo matic saddle on that I’m just not getting on with. Starting to get sore points on my backside that I’ve never had before. Been riding Bel Aire’s off road for years with no complaints. I know its all subjective but what would you reccomend?

molgrips
    Free Member

Specialized Toupe ftw. Hard on the sit-bones, but the only thing that doens’t put my little friend to sleep.

GGB_Andrew
    Free Member

I’ll second that.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

I run 130mm Romins on both my roadies

donsimon
    Free Member

My favourite saddle comes from Decathlon, but I don’t know if they still do it. It was their own brand carbon and very light, the best part was it only cost 30€. Not much help really, unless you can find one! 😉

Dilker
    Free Member

I run the same saddle on my xc race bike and my winter hack bike. If your happy with Bel Aires.. don’t change.

For whats it’s worth i run a Fizik Tundra.

fasthaggis

This one works for me ..
    Bought for an End2End and still comfy after thousands of miles.

uplink
    Free Member
    Ax3M4n
    Free Member

Specialized Sonoma BG.

works for me and not expensive.

CraigW
    Free Member

Fizik Arione, works for me, comfortable for long rides.

maxlite
    Free Member

another for Specialized Toupe……very comfortable

Steve-Austin
    Free Member

San Marco SKN. Can be bought for less than most and its a lot lighter than many too

mrmo
    Free Member

i am using a SLR 165grms, used to have a Fizik Pave which was just not right.

molgrips
    Free Member

If your happy with Bel Aires.. don’t change.

Yeah but what works for off-road might not work for on-road.

Mister-P
    Free Member

I am a San Marco Aspide user and can’t fault them. Got one on all 3 of my road bikes plus a spare stashed away.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

An SLR ti/carbon thing that weighs next to **** all but it suprisingly comfy.

stuartie_c
    Free Member

Specialized for me too.

Got a Toupe gel on the road bike and Phemoms on two of my mtbs. Much more comfortable than they look but it does take a few rides for the sit bones to become accustomed to them.

rootes1

charge spoon or knife

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

Dilker – Member
    I run the same saddle on my xc race bike and my winter hack bike. If your happy with Bel Aires.. don’t change.

Yep, if you have a saddle on your MTB that suits you, and you can still get it, then continue using it.

Dibbs
    Free Member

Fizik Arione, works for me, comfortable for long rides.

+1

clubber
    Free Member

Spesh Alias for me.

http://www.cyclestore.co.uk/productDetails.asp?productID=9264

Though all these recommendations mean nothing really. It’s what works for you… (IME though, when they get the right size and adjust them right, most people seem to get on with the Spesh ones)

MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

Specialized Romin for me too.
    I also have Bel Airs on my MTB and find the profile of the Romin very similar. Not a lot of padding on the Romin but I’ve found it fine and comfy on 70 mile plus rides.

ourmaninthenorth

+1 for starting off with a Bel Air.

I use the same (style of) saddle on my road bikes (race and winter) and my MTB. Selle Italia Octavia.

I’d have the same on my SS MTB, track bike and fixed if they still made it. Those bikes have a variety. The WTB thing I got free is awful – fat, squidgy and very uncomfortable. The Charge Spoon on my track bike makes me numb when I ride the whole session in the drops. The saddle on my fixie was free from a mate and is unpadded and skinny – exceptionally comforable.

molgrips
    Free Member

It’s worth noting that more padding is not better.. it’s often worse. The padding can squidge up between your sit bones and put pressure on your perineum which is the killer on road rides, leading to numb tackle.

skidsareforkids
    Free Member

Selle Italia SLC is fantastic! Similar shape to the Specialized one, but without the join at the back so the wings can flex properly…

drofluf
    Free Member

Brooks B17, most comfortable saddle that I’ve owned.

aP
    Free Member

Turbo Matic 2 – still going strong after 12 years.

steve_b77
    Free Member

I use a Charge Spoon, ‘cos that’s what i have on my MTB’s and hipster wagon and it suits me down to the bum bones.

More than comfortable enough for 10 hour road rides 😀 and several hundred miles back to back over a week

mattoid
    Free Member

I’m with mrmo and davidtaylforth; Selle Italia SLR. I got lucky on ebay, £26 all in. Its the best thing on my bike. Can’t believe so little could work so well. And the mini-me still works after a day’s ride, unlike with my mountain bike.
    Love the look of that SLC tho. mmmmmm….

firestarter
    Free Member

I have fizik arione on all my bikes as they are very comfy but on my audax I have a brooks b17 narrow its soooo comfy

FuzzyWuzzy

+1 for a Spesh Romin from me but saddle choice is something you need to try yourself as what’s comfy for one person won’t be for another. I tried a few Fizik saddles and a couple of Spesh ones before settling on the Romin (you should be able to get a demo saddle from a lot of bike shops these days).

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Reccomend me a road saddle’ is closed to new replies.