Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Recommend me a bag to carry an mtb in the car
  • dvatcmark
    Free Member

I’ve give away from carrying my bike outside of the car on roof/boot mounts as im getting concerned that I’m advertising my bike when i drive anywhere, so I’m putting it in the boot now out of sight.

However i could do with a bike bag to stop the car getting shit up. I don’t need anything fancy or padded just something that’ll hold back the mud and water. All the bags I’ve seen are designed for travel and are far too good for whati need.

I’ve got a Mavic wheel bag which has.a water proof lining and is just fabric on the outside, something like that to fit my frame would be ideal.

can anybody recommend me anything?

Cheers

takisawa2

Bensons for Beds, Sleepmasters, DFS…

A king size matress bag. Lay down, roll bike on, into car.

Hareydan
    Free Member

I just use a cheap ground sheet I bought from wilkinsons for a couple of quid, it’s waterproof so even if the bike’s covered in clag it doesn’t soak in and I can just shake the dirt out when it dries. Plus, it’s dark green so I can also use it to cover the bike if I leave it in the car over night and you can barely even see it.

Mackem

This has served me well for many years…

http://www.groundeffect.co.nz/product-detail-BOD-BAG.htm

muddodger
    Free Member

I got one off ebay a couple of months ago, cost about £40 and sounds exactly what you’re after, no padding, big bag that zips up. Can’t remember the seller but if you do a quick search I’m sure it’ll pop up. was a bike shop selling IIRC.

Edit…
    Here’s the link

Superficial
    Free Member

I use a massive tarp, definitely the best option. Get one plenty big enough so you can protect the inside of the rear doors, front seats etc.

A lot of bike bags require you to take the bars off – this would be too much faff for me. My DHB bike bag is massive, bigger than most I’ve seen, and will take my mountain bike (YetiASR5, medium) without taking the bars off (just).

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/dhb-elsted-wheeled-bike-bag/

KonaTC

Have had a US Army body bag for 10 years picked it up from an Army/Navy store its about 8′ by 4′ fully water proof

similar to http://www.imsplus.com/backpacks/gi-nylon-transport-body-bag.html

Gotama
    Free Member

Go to b and q and buy a hippo bag. Perfect for the job. Make sure you get the big one though. About 15 quid when I got mine.

legend
    Free Member

Superficial – Member
    I use a massive tarp, definitely the best option. Get one plenty big enough so you can protect the inside of the rear doors, front seats etc.

I’m for the tarp option too, as to get the bike in a bag you may well have to put the bag in the mud instead which defeats the purpose imo.

Plenty of cheap sizes, colours available somewhere like: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ECONOMY-TARPAULIN-TARP-LIGHTWEIGHT-WATERPROOF-GROUND-SHEET-COVER-GREAT-VALUE-/400270626376?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&var=&hash=item5d31fd0e48

Superficial
    Free Member

Yeah, get a black one if you can though – mine is bright blue and you can see it a mile off through the windows. A large black one would be more discrete (at least in my car’s mostly black interior, anyway).

garage-dweller

Tarp big enough to fold over the top of the bike to cover it and to go up the back of the front seats a bit if you are doing the seats down thing.

P20

Safebag. Brilliant bit of kit. Contains al the mud etc, but doesn’t reveal the contents either. We’ve used one for over 3yrs now.

It all fits in the car! by ritcheyp20, on Flickr

Stu_N

We use these and have an old tent groundsheet in the boot as well:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ctc-plastic-bike-bag/

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

Duffbag! Designed for this very thing.

baldman
    Free Member

P20 – looks like you’ve got the bigger / rear seats folded version. Is it easy to partially fold up so you can use it with the rear seats up when you’re not needing to put the bike in the car?

andyl
    Free Member

I like that safebag. Great idea.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Duffbag – exactly what it’s designed for.

II have the monster one as then I only have to remove back wheel. Stealth fits in boot of hatch back but required both wheels off. Bag is waterproof. This summer it doubled as a flight bag with lots of padding, I’d say not ideal for that purpose but an option. I’ve been sufficient impressed I’ve ordered a kit bag too, currently I’ve been using a plastic box and carrier/bin bags for grubby kit.

I have a boot liner fitted to car which is fine for a mucky dog but IMO isn’t enough for the bike over the winter. I’ve tried the tarp suggestion but I found the water off bike would run off and find a way through a fold and onto the car seats

Murray

Duffbag so I can sneak the bike into the hotel when I’m away with work. Although dragging a body bag through reception could be fun!

P20

I’ve never tried to be honest. It might be a faff. It’s big enough to fill the entire car with the seats down, so two fs bikes, camping gear, large 3 person tent with awning, stove, etc all inside and all you can see is a big grey bag. The other advantage is in a crash, there’s no items flying around and it can be anchored to load loops (not that we do). It was a bit pricey, but definitely worth it

racingsnail
    Free Member

I’ve got one of these
    keeps the car clean and waterproof even when my fork broke and leaked oil out everywhere

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a bag to carry an mtb in the car’ is closed to new replies.