Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Reba travel adjust
  • timwillows
    Free Member

I have some nice new Rebas, set to 100mm and want to change them to 120mm. I have looked through the RS manuals which seem to suggest its easy, once the fork lowers have been removed! I have heard that there is an easier way, going in through the top, but cannot find any details or description. Has anyone done it this easier way that could talk me through it?
    Thanks

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

It's really not that hard to take the legs off. I fact, I'd say it's fiddlier to go in through the top, just less messy (No oil will come out)

You just undo the 2 fork leg screws half way, tap them to release, remove screws and legs. Then undo circlip in the bottom of the spring side, withdraw shaft, remove spacer, then reassemble with some oil. Easy. 🙂

BoardinBob

Personally, I wouldn't go in through the top. Potential to damage o-rings as you squeeze the air spring out the top of the stanchion

glenh
    Free Member

How is it possible to do from the top?
    Even with the fork fully compressed the air piston wont come out of the top (obviously otherwise it wouldn't work very well!).

I suppose you could undo the bottom too and poke it up and out, but I can't see how that's any easier than just whipping the lowers off, and as bob says, you risk damaging the seal on the threads at the top of the leg.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Thinking about it, I can't see how it could be done from the top, because the shaft in the air chamber isn't long enough to pop out on full compression. It can't be or the forks wouldn't work. The only way I can see is to remove the legs AND the top of the spring leg, then withdraw the shaft. Which will be more faff than necessary…….. 😕

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Ahh. I see I'm not the only one.

BoardinBob

It can done from the top.

Undo the top cap

Undo the lower bolt and knock it free.

Use a long thin rod to push the air spring up through the top

But it does run the risk of scraping the o-ring on the threads for the top cap. It's only a couple of minutes to strip the lowers off anyway.

timwillows
    Free Member

OK, sounds like its the full lowers off then!

Will I need to buy new oil? Forks are currently un-used, so throwing it away seems wasteful.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

If you can catch the old stuff you might as well reuse it. 🙂

Wozza
    Free Member

If you can catch the old stuff you might as well reuse it.

I ended up wearing mine. Yes… you'll need some more oil.

BoardinBob

Either way you lose the oil, so yes, you'll need some

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Reba travel adjust’ is closed to new replies.