Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Reba stantion damage
  • rschurchill
    Free Member

Took my Rebas apart for servicing yesterday and found the left stantion is damaged, does anyone know how bad this is? They still seem to function ok.

z1ppy

I assume like mine it’s from dirt sitting between the seals (though mine isn’t that bad) due to a lack of servicing 😳 but can’t be seen from the outside

I’ve just made sure there isn’t a step, use very fine sand paper if necessary, you could coat it with clear nail varnish to smooth it over if necessary.
    Otherwise I ain’t gunna worry about mine
    (though I wouldn’t sell them without making it clear that there is damage)

slinkybike
    Free Member

I would replace them the ware has created a stress risers at that point, a new csu or fork will be cheaper than the damage cause by them failing.

z1ppy

8) SB, it’s no stress point, the outer coating has ‘just’ corroded away due to dirt being stuck in the seal (well it was in my case).

rschurchill
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies, sadly it was due to lack of servicing, one of the seals pop out while riding in the peaks, a lot of grit got stuck around the foam and I didn’t get to it quick enough, I’ve cleaned it all out but the damage has been done.

While it still seems to work fine, I can replace the seals and touch it up I’m wondering how much abuse it would take. Is there any way to find out whether the damage is cosmetic or structural?

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Stress risers?! WTF?

Classic STW!

They will be fine.

allyharp

I’ve got some Revelations in pretty similar (possibly even worse) nick. I’d never consider it to be a structural liability unless there was a significant depth gouge out of it. I’ve just written off any prospect of ever selling them on and got on with riding!

scottyjohn
    Free Member

I bent the lowers on my SIDS by leaving the quick release loose and my LBS sent them to SRAM after I chatted to a tech at the mb world cup and they replaced the lowers foc. Try that stating it was a defective seal?

rschurchill
    Free Member

Fair points, it doesn’t look like it’s about to snap 🙂

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Reba stantion damage’ is closed to new replies.