Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Reba SL's – what year?
  • franciscobegbie
    Free Member

I’m going to have a go at servicing the lowers on my Reba forks. The only problem is, I’m not sure what years model they are.
    They are on a bike I bought in 2010, so are likely to be 2010 or 2009, but as fate would have it, the lower leg oil volumes are different in both those years.

I’ve had a look at SRAM’s website, but it’s been no help.
    Anyone know how to tell? I’d qite like to be sure before resorting to taking the lowers off and measuring how much oil comes out!

julianwilson
    Free Member

Volume of oil that comes out may well be a lot less than what went in: some of it will be stuck to insides of the fork and some will have been used up keeping yout dust seals nice.

If its a case of only 5mls difference then i would go with the larger volume. And use a syringe to really soak the foam rings in oil after you put them back in: nice to think of a wee bit more oil sloshing around keeping your bushings and dust seals healthy. It’s only for lubrication in the lowers, however the volume on the right upper leg (damping) IS critical.

mr_mills
    Free Member

If you’ve got a pic, I had some 2009 SLs so might be able to tell.

slinkybike
    Free Member

Julian is right it’s just splash lube to make the bush’s stay wet and smooth. With the damper side all you have to do is make sure the bottom of the mo-co is sitting in about a cm of oil after you have cycled the rebound rod. You can check if you have put too much in if the rebound rod will not push all the way up into the uppers.

mieszko
    Free Member

I think the regular amount of oil in the lowers was 15ml, however someone on here pointed out that newer models were supposed to have only 5ml of oil. Worst thing that can happen is you might not get full travel by few mm’s. I did an oil change on my Revs yesterday and put 20-25ml of oil as got the levels confused and they do not have full travel now but they still work fine, only about 10mm less so not a biggie. Will sort it out later.

5ml of oil seems as not very much I know that you will also have to soak the foam rings etc but I would put a bit more then 5ml to be on the safe side.

franciscobegbie
    Free Member

Looks like they are 2010’s.
    I stuck 10ml in each and lost a fair bit of travel.
    I opened them up and put in 5ml in each and job done!

Glad I did it. There was hardly any oil in each leg and the foams were bone dry.
    Not such a hard job, at all.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Reba SL's – what year?’ is closed to new replies.