Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Reba SL – converting remote lockout to leg top lever
  • iainc

I have a 2 month old set of Reba's – very pleased with them apart from the remote, which sticks at the first sign of dirt/moisture/temperature change etc, despite removal and cleaning etc. Was wondering about getting them chaged over to a RH leg top lever. Looks like some internals on the spring side, plus a new blue knob etc – any ideas on cost etc ?

woody2000

<Peterpoddy to the thread please, calling PeterPoddy!>

13thfloormonk

Yep, peterpoddy's the man with the pdfs, however…

To remove the 'spring' action you need to take the damping cartridge out. This would require a tiny allen key for the floodgate knob (these are super easy to round so make it a new allen key as well!) and some circlip pliers for the poploc knob.

A 26mm socket unscrews the top cap and the whole cartridge will slide out. If you do it slowly enough you shouldn't lose much or any oil as you do it. Alternatively buy some knew fluid and just replace the lot, at least that way you can be sure you've got the right volume.

Once you've taken the cartridge out you'll see a little spring wrapped around the inside shaft. Its awkward to get to so you'll need thin needlenose pliers or a bit of ingenuity with a screwdriver. Once unhooked it will stay in place so you needen't worry about removing it entirely.

Then screw everything back together, and buy the replacement knob kit for £10 or so, or bodge the poploc top cap and use that.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Wow, you need a pdf for that? (poor attempt at hiding bitterness at not receiving PP's pdf)

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

You called? 😉

Wahhheyyy! Got 'em online again!
    Here you go…

http://docs.google.com/fileview?id=0B1AoGIWBz4H1YWNhYWRkODYtNzRiNi00YTA1LTlmMjctNmQzOWQwMDdiZGFl&hl=en

🙂

Have the circlips arrived yet Iain?

iainc

Hi Peter – thanks for that -)

They didn't come Sat, but I haven't seen the post today yet, so probs awaiting me when i get home. Thanks again, cheers

iainc

Peter – just looked at your instructions – very clear and looks pretty easy. Quick question – my fork is only a few rides old, so no 'need' to change oil – do you reckon I will be able to, as earlier poster suggests, take the red bit out slowly enough to not lose any oil ? it would be a bit cleaner and simpler this way ?

cheers

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

take the red bit out slowly enough to not lose any oil ?

Yep. Easily. Just let it 'drip dry' so the oil drips back inside! 🙂

iainc

😆

many thanks.

have ordered the bits, just need to seek out a 24mm spanner (not going near that with an adjustable !!) and will get into it later in the week

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

just need to seek out a 24mm spanner (not going near that with an adjustable !!)

Yes, adjustable are the work of the devil where soft alloy is concerned. Socket or ring spanner is the way to go, you'll get your use out of it! 🙂

cynic-al
    Free Member

I've used a decent adj (bahco) on mine OK

iainc

another quick query….

The info above and PP's excellent guide relate to the 05/08 Reba's. Mine are 09 – is the procedure the same ? thanks

Peter – have mailed you

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Should be pretty much identcal, yes. 🙂

iainc

thanks for that 😆

benman
    Free Member

The 09 version has a floodgate which is removed with an allen key rather than a circlip. Thats the only change I can think of.

The motion control spring can also be entirely removed rather than leaving it in, by opening up the motion control unit. Its easy to do, just open up the unit by turning the top CLOCKWISE rather than anti-clockwise. Done this on both of my sets of rebas, works on motion control and black box.

iainc

thanks. Mine has internal floodgate, which is adjusted with a 2.5mm hex. I have a round popout cover that goes on top of it, held on by a tiny o ring, that sits in the grey hexagonal top, and the blue knob is held on by a circlip (this is on the remote setup) I'm guessing I don't need to touch the floodgate though when taking out the motion control bit and undoing the spring ?

benman
    Free Member

I dont think so, but I've only worked on forks with the external floodgate…

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Reba SL – converting remote lockout to leg top lever’ is closed to new replies.