Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Reba RL 29er 100mm – bit crashy
  • lesgrandepotato

I’ve got these on the front of my Niner Jet carbon. Compared to the rear they are pretty crashy feeling. I’d like to get them a bit plusher.

From what I read if they are not OEM then changing the travel to 120mm is easyish. How do I tell if they are OEM?

Also as a 100mm setup they could/should have a couple of tokens in them. If I take these out? How? Then this should give a plusher ride?

Kryton57

Don’t take the tokens out, it’ll make them dive. I’ve added 2 to my 100mm – although those are a race fork – and three to my 120mm.

This allows you to run the air pressure lower and the initial last of the stroke is more sensitive as a result, yet it ramps up / avoids dive quite nicely.

Its also possible your pressure/rebound is too high resulting in the fork pinging back into the trail quickly.

lesgrandepotato

Interesting, I’ve got the rebound basically open, which makes my old floats nice and supple.

cp

Also as a 100mm setup they could/should have a couple of tokens in them

Do you mean tokens or all travel spacers?

Difficult to advise, but OEM will have little or no effect. Need to know year really, or if you don’t know could you post a pic and we’ll try and identify which year they are.

lesgrandepotato

Think they are 2016 vintage forks ( black on black) Supplied on an ex demo Niner so they could be OEM or could be retail. Depends how it got built up!

lesgrandepotato

Pretty certain they are these Linky

Kryton57

Interesting, I’ve got the rebound basically open, which makes my old floats nice and supple.

Completely different fork, ignore all that and don’t use those as a reference.

In the main the RS forks are delivered too linear. The easy fix to this is to add more air, which makes them less supple / small bump sensitive and will speed up the rebound due to an increase in “spring” if you don’t adjust the rebound.

To fix, add tokens and use less air. The first part of the stroke becomes more sensitive to small bumps due to the lower air volume / softer spring but the fork ramps quicker and avoids dive because the air chamber has been reduced and that air compresses more earlier in the stroke.

Adding tokens is very easy. You can get a pack of 5 from Amazon for £10 and is a 5 min job you can google, as there are many videos on the internet. Basically, remove top cap, remove air, unscrew top cap assembly with 24mm socket, screw/unscrew tokens and reverse.

I have the same forks in 120 & 100mm and have just done this to mine. Its a huge improvement.

large418
    Free Member

I have some 2012 Reba’s which suffered the same problem. After much servicing, trials of up to 4 air tokens, I came to the conclusion that I had a bad pair and swapped to DT Swiss which have been faultless. Apparently swapping to a dual air set up fixes Rebas, but this is not cheap.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Reba RL 29er 100mm – bit crashy’ is closed to new replies.