Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Reba Race 2008 forks – how to remove floodgate dial?
  • willf
    Free Member

The 2008 manual makes reference to the compression adjuster know being held in place with an external snap ring. However, my compression adjuster is held in place by a floodgate dial with a small hole in the side, at the base of which is a very shallow hexagonal recess (too shallow for an allen key to engage with).

https://www.dropbox.com/s/99cyw476mx9ynu6/rockshox_reba_race_08-floodgate_dial.jpg?dl=0

Anyone got any suggestions as to how I could remove the floodgate and compression dials? I haven’t tried servicing these 2nd-hand forks before – anyone know if I’m missing anything? Could something (e.g. a grub screw) have sheared off? Keen to give the dampener a service.

Cheers,

Will

Junkyard
    Free Member

see that allen key bolt – undo it and take the cap off that way

iirc there is possibly a circlip underneath holding on the blue compression knob

Wait ofr other advice if it is a remote version as never serviced those

spursn17
    Free Member

Use a decent quality allen key, and dont use a ball end one.

nickdavies

Grub screw looks fine you just need a decent Allen key of the right size by looks of it. It’s fairly straightforwad to strip those down, just follow the tech manual on the sram site carefully.

willf
    Free Member

There’s less than 0.5 mm for the allen key (which I thought was a good one) to catch on and it ain’t catching!

nickdavies: you mention a grub screw yet I can see threads but no screw in the hole?

otsdr
    Free Member

Are you sure you have the right Allen key, i.e. 1.5mm?

MarkBrewer
    Free Member

The picture isn’t that clear but the hex in that grub screw looks worn out to me.

Junkyard
    Free Member

looks worn to me [ having just zoomed in] trying tapping an oversize torx key into it to get purchase as we are into the territory of bigger hammer/ drill it out

dirtydog
    Free Member

There’s less than 0.5 mm for the allen key (which I thought was a good one) to catch on and it ain’t catching!

Not blocked with mud is it, tried cleaning out with pick/safety pin etc?

nickdavies

nickdavies: you mention a grub screw yet I can see threads but no screw in the hole?

Obviously it’s a picture but it looks like there is a grub screw in there to me? 1.5mm IIRC on those. They do drop in quite deep, doesn’t look much different to one of mine. They are pretty easy to get ham fisted though and round, if a decent Allen key won’t bite and a Torx doesn’t work I’ve used a watchmakers screwdriver before, gently tap it in and turn it in a fraction, counter intuitive but I find a little tweak tighter can break the bond.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Reba Race 2008 forks – how to remove floodgate dial?’ is closed to new replies.