Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Reasonably priced but quality padded shorts/bibs
  • zelak999
    Free Member

My ass is sore after too many rides on my old DHB bib shorts so i’m looking for a new pair.
    Any recommends for super comfy, quality yet not extortionate liner shorts or bib shorts?
    TIA 😀

BillOddie

More DHB?

I reckon the pad is 90% as good as my Morvelo and Endura ones and about half the RRP.

Garry_Lager

Decathlon bibs are good.

Personal thing, though, your aris. Our club bibs are champion system and the pad looks really poor quality – some sort of thin foam padding that moves around. yet I can do 100 miles on it no problem, feels fine.

Yak

As above – new dhb. Been on the old version aeron pro for years. Now just bought the new aeron, which I think is the old pro.

Yak

bugger – double post

tomnavman
    Free Member

I’ve just bought some Rivelo bibs from SportPursuit for £50, they are much nicer than my far more expensive Endura set!

fifeandy
    Free Member

Look for Endura FS260 or Castelli Velocissimo on sale.

woody2000

Liking my polaris bib shorts, seem well made and the pad is decent (YMMV obviously).

£15!

http://www.polaris-bikewear.co.uk/Adventure-Cycling-Bib-Short-p/pol01-5259-p.htm

ransos
    Free Member

I’ve just bought some DHB ASV race bibs. They’re much better quality than the standard DHB bibs – the pad is noticeably more comfortable on a long ride. Ignore their advice about sizing up.

lunge

Decathlon, 700/900/Aerofit but not 500. Brilliant bibs and very good value for money.

theotherjonv

personal arse-preference, but I like these:

http://road.cc/content/review/133178-lusso-aero50-bib-shorts

JackHammer

I have some lusso bibs, they’re my favourite.

shredlyjoe82
    Free Member

I bought these the other week…

Polaris Adventure Bibs

Perfect for sticking under my baggies or out on the roadie, came quickly too 😀

nickfrog
    Free Member

Not sure if that’s what the OP is after but difficult to beat Endura Hummvees at £25 @Wiggle although they were £20 a few weeks ago…

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Madison, bloody good kit, reasonably priced, available everywhere, best warranty around, bar none.

zelak999
    Free Member

Cheers folks!

pdV6
    Free Member

nickfrog – Member
    Not sure if that’s what the OP is after but difficult to beat Endura Hummvees at £25 @Wiggle although they were £20 a few weeks ago..

Good call – thanks for the heads-up!

Personally, I do get on with Hummvees and could do with another pair but don’t really like spending £50 on them. At £25 they’re a bargain.

footstomper
    Free Member

As with a few other I find Lusso very comfy on short or long rides. I have a few pairs of the Lusso Pro-Gel Cooltech Bib Shorts, you can usually find them on offer around the £45ish price.

jwt
    Free Member

+1 for Rivelo, just make sure you wait for the ‘sales’ only usually takes a week or two for another. Then just dealing with the weekly daily emails from sport pursuit………..

ransos
    Free Member

As with a few other I find Lusso very comfy on short or long rides. I have a few pairs of the Lusso Pro-Gel Cooltech Bib Shorts, you can usually find them on offer around the £45ish price.

I have those. They’re ok and good value but the pad is too thick IMO. Sizing is also a bit generous.

stumpy01

woody2000 – Member

Liking my polaris bib shorts, seem well made and the pad is decent (YMMV obviously).

£15!

shredlyjoe82 – Member

I bought these the other week…

Polaris Adventure Bibs

Perfect for sticking under my baggies or out on the roadie, came quickly too

I got a couple of pairs of these recently. They are comfy when on the bike, but there are a few strange niggles with them.
    The pad comes quite a way forward which feels a bit strange when off the bike – it feels like the pad has been sown in an inch too far forward
    The front is very low – almost too low IMO
    All my other bib shorts hold themselves up with the shoulder straps off. These don’t – they fall down almost immediately.

No big issues, really & for the £12/pair I think I paid for them they are decent shorts.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

lusso bibs, they’re my favourite.

+1

If my last pair are anything to go by, £45 is reasonable. I lived in them for years (on the bike, obvs!)

P20

I like my Howies.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

I don’t think anyone has suggested Zipvit yet. Lurid colours but doesn’t matter if you’re wearing them under baggies. Top quality pad, tough compression lycra that stays in place without silicon grippers. By far the most comfortable shorts I’ve worn – better than £100+ pairs – and they last really well.

£40 but If you wait they have 25% off sales fairly regularly.

https://www.zipvitsport.co.uk/zv-sport-bib-shorts.html

digger95
    Free Member

I’m delighted with my raptor tri shorts off ebay. Quite a thick pad for triathlon not much thinner than a bike-only pad.

ucantbesirius
    Free Member

The Rivelo (Honister?) bibs are very good for £50 – had a pair for a year and have been very comfy. Also, have a look at the Prendas website – they have their own custom santini short/pad combinations for good prices.

rumbledethumps
    Free Member

DHB and Lusso have always served me well.

lucky7500

I like my Howies.

+1
    Although I am looking for some new ones as the thread on my Howies is gradually giving up after a couple of years.
    I’ve noticed that most of the recommendations above have silicone grippers on the legs, whereas Howies don’t. Is it more normal that hey do?

scaredypants

zipvit, as mentioned above – lairy, but great under baggies or if you have no shame 😉

highlandman
    Free Member

Do any of the recommended shorts lack a silicon leg gripper? I’m keen to find a good pair of liners to use under baggies on long days, which do not have that dreaded gripper. For me, anything that fits my waist is likely to be firm/tight on the thigh and silicon patches will then raise painful marks on my skin. For road use on even the longest days, I find Endura FS260 are superb and their unusual take on a leg gripper doesn’t irritate. However, there is no equivalent among their liner shorts.

iainc

The Howies bib shorts don’t have a gripper and are made of a nice feeling stretchy material. I don’t wear them on the road (use DHB Race for that) but they are my favourites under baggies.

highlandman
    Free Member

Thanks Ian.. Will give those a try.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

No gripper on the Zipvit

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Reasonably priced but quality padded shorts/bibs’ is closed to new replies.