Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Rear wheel slightly out of alignment on new frame, easy fix?
  • slimjim78
    Free Member

Just started building new frame up with x12 rear end (hope pro2 40t) , when bolting the wheel up you can see the tyre leading a couple of mm over toward the drive side.

The wishful part of me hopes this is merely a rear wheel dishing issue and not a frame alignment issue. I can’t say I noticed the same issue on previous frame when running QR adapters.

Should I attempt to tweak the non-drive side nipples and pull the wheel over 1mm needed, or should I send frame back?!

Frame is new and wheels are only about 20miles old.

legend
    Free Member

put the wheel in the wrong way round, instantly shows if it’s a wheel or frame issue

slimjim78
    Free Member

Ah ha! – ok here goes..

Spin
    Free Member

Check for wee stray blobs of paint in the dropout.

matt_outandabout

What new frame?

slimjim78
    Free Member

NS Eccentric cro-mo

Ok, flipped wheel, it’s now virtually straight, with tiny bias towards non drive side.
    This is good, right?

uwe-r
    Free Member

Hi – bumping an old thread here but I have the same’ish issue!

Road bike that I have had for about 12 months from new. The rear wheel has always aligned very slightly toward the non drive side and there is little clearance with my preferred 28 tyres – so originally clearance of about 1mm non drive and 2 or 3mm on the drive side.

12 months in and the wheel has been bashed about a bit and it has started catching. I had the wheel trued about 2 weeks ago and the problem went away but it’s started up again. I have a suspicion that this minimal clearance and slight miss alignment is going to scupper this bike as it will only tolerate perfectly straight wheels!

Is there anything I can do? Would you send it back?

njee20
    Free Member

You’ve made life far harder by using the bike, if it’s pissed then yes, it should have gone back…

You’ve presumably done the above and flipped the wheel to check it’s the frame and not the wheel? If it is the wheel just dish it correctly.

scotroutes

3-4mm total clearance? I’d buy a bike suitable for 28mm tyres. Was it sold to you as such?

uwe-r
    Free Member

Cannondale synapse (2015 alloy model) – should take a 28 according to the internet see evans comment here:

http://answers.evanscycles.com/answers/0924/product/ec054416/cannondale-synapse-disc-5-105-2014-road-bike-questions-answers/questions.htm

It has fixings for full guards so 28s with no guards should be fine in theory but it would appear the tight clearance is a slight design fault at best given this is more of a comfort road bike than anything else and 28s even 32s would be a natural choice on a bike of this style.

So – what can be done? Can I fix something into the drop out to correct the alignment?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Rear wheel slightly out of alignment on new frame, easy fix?’ is closed to new replies.