Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Rear wheel contact with turbo problem.
  • dsb181
    Free Member

My friend has lent me his turbo trainer but I can’t seem to set it up properly. I’m putting it down to a naffed wheel but would like a second opinion.

So when I adjust the contact so it’s just touching (enough to turn the turbo roller but if I was to sprint the wheel would ‘Wheel spin” on the contact roller), If you imagine my wheel as a clock it seems to be between 12 & 3 o’clock for example the wheel seems to not make contact with the turbo. I could adjust it so that it can but it would increase the friction on the other area of the wheel too much?
    It’s only a few mm but still it’s a problem.
    Does the wheel need to be trued? Or should I just forget about it and increase the contact with the roller, the tyre seems to get too hot when I do this though. (I’m using my old road tyre)
    Hope thats as clear as mud, thanks for reading

scotroutes

Certainly sound like the wheel isn’t exactly true.

dsb181
    Free Member

It doesn’t wobble side to side at all though, just seems to be upand down slightly

stAn-BadBrainsMBC
    Free Member

Wheels can go out of true both up and down as well as side to side. It’s sometimes referred to as ‘a hop’.

You need to determine first of all that it is a ‘hop’ as opposed to a flat spot or dent on the rim – this is a possibility and could have been caused in a number of ways , not least, impact.

If it is a hop you might be able to get it out by loosening the spokes opposite and tightening the ones nearest, but it’s a lot more difficult than truing a wheel from side to side

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Rear wheel contact with turbo problem.’ is closed to new replies.