Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Rear wheel allignment!
  • pedrowheels
    Free Member

Hi all,

I was riding my MBT the other day and realised that the rear wheel was nearly rubbing the right hand side chain stay, yet the wheel was aligned evenly between the seat stay.

What could be the problem and what should I do first? Or just take it to the LBS

grumm
    Free Member

Bent frame or more likely dishing problem with the wheel?

wishiwascalledsteve

Have you checked that the wheel is square in the dropouts? This happened to me, turned out to be the wheel wasn't sat in the dropouts properly.

Stoner
    Free Member

I suppose what I would do is, in this order:

1) undo QR, reset wheel, do up QR, check again
    if wheel not sat up in the drop outs properly on the NDS then possible mis-alignment

2) take chain and disc caliper off, flip wheel round with cassette on NDS, check again
    see if the wheel is out of true/dish. If it is then the wheel will now rub on a different part of the frame

3) check drop out alignment I mean rear triangle aslignment using a bit of string and a ruler.
    http://www.sheldonbrown.com/frame-spacing.html
    Checking Alignment (Symmetry) section near the bottom.

4) finally go to the LBS to check the drop out alignment with a special tool. http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=40

if the drop outs are out of whack, and its a steel frame Id manipulate it back myself. If Al Id take it to a shop for further diagnosis and use of their insurance cover 🙂

woody2000

Is it an Orange 5?

pedrowheels
    Free Member

no its a hard tail.

tinribz
    Free Member

Before rushing to the bike shop is worth pulling out the skewers and checking the wheel is sittin right at the bottom of the drop-outs.

If so and is the opposite side rub when you reverse it, then get out the spoke key.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Rear wheel allignment!’ is closed to new replies.