Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • rear tyres – high roller, ardent or aspen?
  • OrangeChammy
    Free Member

Looking at a rear mud tyre but reading some reviews I think I may need an all rounder but something that clear betters than a panaracer rampage 2.35.

Needs to roll reasonably fast – like the look or the maxxis ardent (maybe aspen is a bit smooth), high roller seems to get good reviews.

Looking at a folding 60a compound… 2.3 or so.

Any advice from users of above tyres?

mboy
    Free Member

What type of terrain/riding you gonna be using it for, and paired with what up front?

High Rollers are excellent tyres, though if you're after a mud tyre you can do better…

OrangeChammy
    Free Member

Ride trails centres and 2 hour rides on natural (muddy) trails, need some volume as I run a rear DH rim on my hardtail and push it on fast rock trails.

Really happy with my rampage's which I would keep up front, also likes my similar nevegals… but both treads clog up easy, so not so good on back in winter months in scotland. Worried that a mud specific may not be so good on longer rides and fast trails like glentress.

Want a light, tough, do-it-all tyre!!! but would settle for something like a rampage that grips and clears better in wet, fed up with being beat on slippy climbs by my tyre.

mboy
    Free Member

Want a light, tough, do-it-all tyre!!!

High Roller then… In single ply 60a flavour, unless you're made of money or like riding with very heavy, draggy tyres.

They grip pretty well in the muck, not as well as a mud specific tyre obviously, but they clear pretty well. You'll leave it on there when the summer comes too!

For a tyre that's a bit more like the Panaracer Rampage, grips and clears pretty well but is also very grippy in mucky conditions, check out the 2.35" Bontrager ACX… Though they are big for a 2.35!

grumm
    Free Member

High Rollers are grippy but they don't roll fast, despite the name – even the 60a is pretty draggy imo.

druidh
    Free Member

I wouldn't go near a muddy trail on an Aspen. Might be OK as a summer/dry weather tyre, but looks like it has very little grip.

OrangeChammy
    Free Member

Been googling around – possibly Hutchison Toro may be a contender?

walla24
    Free Member

I'd recommend highroller 60a single ply, nice and tough grippy enough, come up narrow though 2.35 will look narrower than it should

shredder
    Free Member

As a side OrangeChammy how do you get on with the Rampage's ?

dirtbiker100
    Free Member

I'm thinking about swapping my rear high roller for a hutchinson toro ovre the winter and going tubeless with it.

oliverd1981
    Free Member

I run a 2.1 Advantage "out-back" with a 2.35 high roller up front, nice combination.

grumm
    Free Member

Not sure about the Toro but a mate had some Hutchinson Python's that came with his Meta from Merlin and they had ridiculously flimsy sidewalls – one of them only lasted a few rides and I think the other was gone a few weeks later.

schrickvr6
    Free Member

High Rollers are useless on the back in mud IMO, unless you run them the wrong way around or are only pointing downhill.

I'm liking the HR on the front and Minion front on the rear combo.

Ardents have a short tread block like the Rampage so are not 'all that' in mud.

hora
    Free Member

My all time favourites are wet screams….then the Ardent came along. So for Autumn winter I am going to be using a wet scream front and a Ardent rear 😀

GreenRoom
    Free Member

Swamp things are like a high roller for muddier conditions. Recommended if the mud is clogging. Wet screams for real gloop. As above, High rollers don't roll but awesome on techy rocky gnarr. I always thought it was pretty standard to run high rollers backwards for rear grip? You don't really need that much rear braking.

FuzzyWuzzy

Advantage works for me on the rear

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘rear tyres – high roller, ardent or aspen?’ is closed to new replies.