Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Rear tyre clearance – frame protection from stones in tread etc
  • mrmoosehead
    Free Member

So shiny new bike (Scale 910) is not so shiny anymore, but still damned fast and fun.
    Getting used to the big wheels and hardtail now.
    Just those little uphill steps and climbs to sort…

One of the main things I changed was the tyres – went from stock Schwalbe Rocket Ron 2.2 to the Conti MK2 protection 2.4

Much more confidence inspiring and certainly better for the Lakeland slate on Friday.

However, the clearance isn’t massive on the rear chainstays, so there are already some scratches on the inside and small impact marks on the top.

I can’t find any protection products for that area, so I was looking for inspiration – thoughts so far:
    [list]
    [*]Insulation tape – thin, but would need replacing regularly[/*]
    [*]Inner tube – probably wouldn’t stay in place, a bit ‘sticky and draggy'[/*]
    [*]Kevlar/resin – have built canoes, so know the stuff – might be overkill or too thick? Not removable[/*]
    [*]Aluminium can strip – araldite to stick – thin and tough, but not removable[/*]
    [/list]

Or am I thinking about this too much and I should just not worry about it?

colande
    Free Member

No if you’re worried about it, that’s fine!
    Helicopter tape is very thin and strong and easily mouldable as well, and relatively cheap

mrmoosehead
    Free Member

Ah. Helicopter tape. Brilliant – never heard of the stuff.
    Thanks!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘Rear tyre clearance – frame protection from stones in tread etc’ is closed to new replies.