Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Rear Suss Vs Mudguards – Anyone else tried this?
  • V8_shin_print
    Free Member

I'm sick of getting wet and cold so I have finally given in and bought a mud guard. It should have been simple to fit, but on my bike there wasn't really anywhere to attach it.
    If i attach it to the frame the travel of the rear suspension hits it.
    If I attach it to the bottom of the seatpost it works but then i can't drop the seat.
    If i attach it to the top of the seatpost it wasn't going to do very much and will get in the way.

….so i came up with this:

It's a bit too flappy and I will probably break it at some point but it will do for a first attempt. Whatcha think?

carbon337
    Free Member

Looks better than most attempts i've seen to be fair. Did you make that bracket yourself?

Not a fan of mudguards though – dont see the point. If i want to keep clean and dry i'd stay indoors.

nickc

Looks really neat, nice one

druidh
    Free Member

If only someone would put something like that into production….

Decathlon Rockrider

robgarrioch

Like it Mark – definitely the right idea. My guard's just fixed low on the seat post as I rarely / never move it, but that doesn't do much to keep mud off the bike, just me… Your fabrication looks like it'll give near-maximum protection. Looks like you've fixed it to a brace or something??
    I'll have one for a pitch when you start manufacturing, carbon-fibre, 'natch 🙂

ooOOoo
    Free Member

very neat, what does it fix to?

Trailseeker
    Free Member

That does look good, can you beef it up by bending a ridge to run round the largest radius & reduce the flex?

jackthedog
    Free Member

Good bit of DIY. Nice one.

epicyclo

That's tidy

cynic-al
    Free Member

a crudguard mounted 2-3" up the seatpost works fine (if not better than one mounted lower), I really don't see the problem.

ooOOoo
    Free Member

Yes if you leave your saddle in XC position then it's not a problem.

cynic-al
    Free Member

My point is do folk really need to drop more than 3"?

V8_shin_print
    Free Member

Thanks for the comments guys! Yeah it's homemade, i spent sunday afternoon with bits of cardboard and scissors before getting a lump of metal to hack away at. It's frame specific because it bolts under the brace on older Superlight frame.
    Not sure i can put a ridge in with the tools i have on the kitchen table, but suggestions are welcome.
    It does need to be stiffer, I was thinking about a much beefier bracket that i could get made by a RP bureau from ABS or similar, but it would need to work out ~£10 or less.
    What's the story with the rockrider? I guess that makes use of V-mounts? Are they available?

psychle
    Free Member

have you drilled holes in your frame? I can't tell from the pic…

J0N
    Free Member

Good DIY.
    That decathlon one. Surely it only works of you have V brake mounts?

druidh
    Free Member

J0N – Member
    Good DIY.
    That decathlon one. Surely it only works of you have V brake mounts?

Correct. But I'm guessing there's a lot more bikes out there with them than there are older style Superlights with a bolt-on brace.

V8_shin_print
    Free Member

I was eyeing up the v-mounts as well but the brace was just more convenient for this. Is the decathlon in production?

Cynic-al: If you look at where that would be on my bike it is a very long way from the wheel. My back would be protected but a lot would be thrown forwards. It would also be a right pain every time you throw your leg over the bike.

ooOOoo
    Free Member

No chance for a RP under £10! Probably more like £60-100. ABS would be FDM which can be weak between build layers, SLS in nylon I've found more robust for MTB stuff.
    Maybe just some sort of brace between the frame bolts & mid section? At the moment you've made a nice kind of leaf spring!

V8_shin_print
    Free Member

pyschle: the frame has a brace at that point. I just put the bracket under it.

druidh
    Free Member

V8_shin_print – Member
    I was eyeing up the v-mounts as well but the brace was just more convenient for this. Is the decathlon in production?

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/EN/mtb-rear-17251445/

£7.95

V8_shin_print
    Free Member

thanks, for the RP info, i was hoping it might have come down in price over the last 5-10 years. SLS is sintering right? How does that work with nylon? Is that still going to be the same price?

At the moment you've made a nice kind of leaf spring!

Ha ha! true! The design was based on what i can easily make in the kitchen to be honest. I could just remake it with thicker steel but throwing more metal at it is not normally a good design approach. Another idea is to replace the brace and incorporate it into the bracket but then i'm back into the realms of things I can't make myself.

V8_shin_print
    Free Member

£7.95

D'oh! I spent more than that on a sheet of steel from B & bloody Q!

cynic-al
    Free Member

But I'm guessing there's a lot more bikes out there with them than there are older style Superlights with a bolt-on brace.

I'm guessing there's a lot more fs bikes with neither.

ooOOoo
    Free Member

Sintering in Nylon gives you a part which is fused together nicely, and is similarly strong in each direction, also good abrasion resistance. It's actually one of the cheaper RP processes.

Can you create STL files? If so you can get instant quotes here, in different processes
    Materialise
    but I'm afraid minimum order is around £100 😐

midlifecrashes

Good effort. I used the Decathlon one one my old Marin frame, it works really well. I liked it not getting knocked out of position when you lean your bike on something or catch it with your foot when you swing your leg over. I've thought of making up some brackets to take it on the stays of my current frame.

V8_shin_print
    Free Member

Midlifecrashes, how much of the v-mount do you need? I assume it screws into the end of the bosses?

druidh
    Free Member

Aye – the fitting screws onto your V-brake mount. Handily, the mudguard just clips on and off this.

V8_shin_print
    Free Member

thanks, i think i have a set of bosses kicking around somewhere. Now I just need an excuse to pop over to weegie-world.
    I'll keep my attempt on the bike for a ride though, i want to see if it survives!

midlifecrashes

Yep, and you can still use V brakes with it fitted too, they come with extra long bolts and the boss extender as seen in druidh's pic. You can adjust the angle within quite a big range too. If you do get one, I wouldn't bother getting the matching front one, the bung that goes in the steerer is not good and it wobbles loose, there are better front guards out there.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Rear Suss Vs Mudguards – Anyone else tried this?’ is closed to new replies.