Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Rear Shock stroke length
  • adski

Hi guys,
    What effect would replacing a rear shock 200mm x 51mm with one that is 200mm x 50mm?
    What would the reduction of 1mm in stroke length do to my bike?
    Thanks for your help.
    Ad

Kieran

200mm is the uncompressed length, so for normal riding nothing!

51/50 is the amount of travel the shock has, so depending on the bike your going to lose a little bit of travel, that said, 1mm will probably be taken up by the bump stop/tolerances in manufacturing.

adski

Thanks Kieran.
    What is the bump stop tolerance?
    My bike is a 2004 Kona Coiler and the shock is a Fox Vanilla R.
    The quoted travel was 5″.
    Ad

oliverd1981
    Free Member

I wouldn’t worry about it for the sake of 1mm – a lot of the shocks are sold in inches for the US market. 50mm and 51mm both sound lie a 2″ shock, just somebody has been better at using the calculator.

I quite liked my ’04 coiler, I reckon they’d be a good candidate for an air shock.

Kieran

All shicks (that I know) have a rubber “bumper” to protect the shock for when you “bottom out” it basically stops the two ends of teh shock hitting each other.

Generally this is made from a thick bit of rubber.

the 1mm would be taken up by this, however on every shock i’ve had one one of my bikes there is a slight differenace (+/- 1-2mm) in the travel on it anyway.

adski

Thanks oliverd1981,
    Funnily enough, that is my plan.
    I have a nice ‘new’ (well, new to me) bolt-through RS revs up front and I am now looking to sitck an air can on the back.
    Any sugestions? I was thinnking RP23 or RS Monarch.
    Adski.

honourablegeorge

adski – Member

Hi guys,
    What effect would replacing a rear shock 200mm x 51mm with one that is 200mm x 50mm?
    What would the reduction of 1mm in stroke length do to my bike?
    Thanks for your help.
    Ad

I’d guess they’re both the same – 2″ is 50.8mm – one is rounded down, the other up.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

50mm and 51mm both sound lie a 2″ shock, just somebody has been better at using the calculator.

+1

I’ve na RP2 on my Pitch and it feels good after a bit of tinkering, best thing to do would be phone MOJO, TF or LOCO (or others) and ask about new shocks, most of the tuners will setup the shock to mach the bike, your weight, where you ride etc. Whereas getting it from a shop might be cheeper, but will just be a bog standard tune and may or may not be what you’re looking for.

Lummox

i have a brand new Kashima rp23 removed from my orange 5 at time of purchase, 190 x 50, £250 posted photos in classifieds

adski

Lummox,
    Pity your shock is not 200mm as discussed.
    Adski.

Lummox

yes apologies but too late to edit once i re-read it later on, still i see you’ve found the underline and bold facility on your keyboard.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Rear Shock stroke length’ is closed to new replies.