Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Rear Shock Protection
  • ndthornton
    Free Member

Iv just bought a Mondraker Dune frame and looking at the rear end it seems like the Fox air shaft is in the direct firing line of the back wheel. On my current bike I fitted a bender fender to protect the shock but that doesn’t look like it will fit too well on this frame. Any one know of anything you can buy or have any good ideas??

My only idea so far is to cut up an inner tube and stretch it across the frame in front of the rear wheel using cable ties.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

My only idea so far is to cut up an inner tube and stretch it across the frame in front of the rear wheel using cable ties.

Best idea, cheap replaceable and removable. Complete customisation and recycling.

ndthornton
    Free Member

Cool – il give it a go then 🙂

perthmtb
    Free Member

I use a lizard skins neoprene shock boot, but cut in half as I only want to protect the exposed shaft, not the can body, and that way I get two for the price of one!

However, I do only ride in dry and dusty conditions, I have no idea how it would stand up to wet and muddy.

I did worry that it would have the opposite effect to what I wanted, and would just trap grit and rub it against the shaft (oo err missus!). But, it seems to keep the dust out very effectively. I do wash and dry it and re-lube the shaft every couple of rides tho’, so its not a maintenance free solution. But, there’s no scoring on my shaft after a couple of years use, and the Giant rear shocks are very badly placed for copping sand and grit thrown up from the front wheel.

nickjb
    Free Member

Specialized make one for their fsr frames. Might be able to make it fit

jpacey
    Free Member

I use the inner tube solution on my foxy and it works well

greeble
    Free Member

I use a lizard skins neoprene shock boot, but cut in half as I only want to protect the exposed shaft, not the can body, and that way I get two for the price of one!

you mean you want fine grit to get under the neoprene and grind away at the shaft carry on. avoid using shock “boots” they cause more hassle than they’re worth.

bigyinn
    Free Member

If you never clean your bike or your shock boot, avoid. Otherwise it’s fine.

infernocup

I’ve got a Foxy, so had a similar problem. Ended up fashioning a mud guard out of an old plastic milk bottle. Cable tied to the rear triangle between the wheel and the shock. The distributor had a carbon ‘fender’ advertised but not sure if its available yet, or if it ever will be. Was priced at about £70 as well which is crazy!

ndthornton
    Free Member

Il try the inner tube solution when I get round to it but just had an idea……..

a chap in the office has a home made 3D printer which he has been raving about. If seen the fender of which you speak -maybe I could copy the design – it attacthes to the front mech mount so quite a neat solution. Then I can sell them on the web!!!

bigyinn
    Free Member

Did he print his own printer? 😆

ndthornton
    Free Member

Yes! – He actually did!!
    ….Using a friends printer and plans from the web.

I dont know if im being paranoid but Im slightly worried about the printers becoming self aware, printing an army of printers and taking over the world.

Like Grey Goo

atlaz
    Free Member

You can buy a carbon one online made specifically for the Dune. I’ve had a Dune for nearly 3 years and not bothered with anything and the shock didn’t die. Just remember to clean it and it’ll be fine

ndthornton
    Free Member

Do you know where abouts online?
    I know il look at it and go “Hooooooooooooooooooow Much!”
    But might as well see it

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Rear Shock Protection’ is closed to new replies.