Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • rear shock position?
  • knott4me
    Free Member

i have just bought a new bike with a 4 bar design & the rear shock is fitted upside down.

there are no obvious hindrances so is this done for function or can i simply turn it the other way round.

GW
    Free Member

as far as performance goes it makes on difference which way up it is. and you can mount it how you like unless it fouls the frame during compression. does it have a piggyback? if you do swap it round, makes sure there's adequate clearance by removing spring (air charge if it's an air shock) and cycling the swing arm through the full arc of travel. – remember the bottom out bumper can be squashed almost flat on harsh bottoming. (if it's looking close, sit on the bike with no spring to make sure)
    oh, rather than positioning it a way that you think looks best, position it so any adjusters are easy to reach, and out of mud spray if that's possible too.

GW
    Free Member

what bike is it BTW?

knott4me
    Free Member

cheers gw. focus superbud

jackthedog
    Free Member

You might need to have the bushes removed, swapped and pressed back in by your LBS if they're not the same top and bottom. Mine aren't.

z1ppy

jackthedog, that would be the top hat fitting's not the bushings, but they should be removable with a stilson or vice's help.

DezB
    Free Member

I don't reckon it would fit the other way up. The shock body looks like it would be obstructed by the seat tube.
    Also the adjusters would be harder to reach.

tinsy
    Free Member

er that is the right way up, shocks up the other way look odd… but usually done for clearance reasons as stated…

Also in my opinion with it that way up (skinny bit down) it the lube in the air can stays around the seal, that has to be better right?

knott4me
    Free Member

it is the team model .

i have the tool from betd to do the job.it has now been put on the right way & no problems to report.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘rear shock position?’ is closed to new replies.