Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Rear Shock Help.
  • jakeyo1
    Free Member

Im looking at upgrading my rear shock. I dont know much about suspension so wonder if you guys could help. I ride a 2012 trek fuel and have RockShox Ario RL, rebound; 7.25×2.0?. If I was to get a new shock do I need one with the same rebound size ect. Can anybody recommend a good shock.

Stigheed

You should definately stick with the same eye to eye and shaft length, the geometry may be adversely affected otherwise.As for rebound or compression, if you,re happy with the current settings you may want to stick with similar settings on a new shock, however, damping settings will vary between manufacturers and even within a given manufacturers product line do vary. I believe that Arios have basic damping. Monarchs can be adjusted with volume spacers cheaply from CRC or elsewhere. If you,re not sure on rebound or compression settings you may want a shock that is more adjustable, such as a Fox RP23 or a Cane Creek DB. These are more expensive though and getting the right feel may take longer through trial and error.

jakeyo1
    Free Member

Thanks, Thats really helpful. so when it says 7.25×2.0 do I have stick to those dimensions

dirtydog
    Free Member

Thanks, Thats really helpful. so when it says 7.25×2.0 do I have stick to those dimensions

Yes

jakeyo1
    Free Member

I can only find 7.25×1.75′. Will that not work?

transporter13
    Free Member

Can i ask why it is that you feel the need to upgrade?
    Is it something specific with the shock itself?

transporter13
    Free Member

If you use the shorter shock youll have less rear wheel travel.

jakeyo1
    Free Member

Its just not holding pressure. Im sure a service would fix it but im just not that happy with the shock in general.
    I assume the 7.25 is the length, I have found a 7.25 shock but instead of 2″ its 1.75.

transporter13
    Free Member

Yeah….normally means that the seals need replacing.
    The rear shock length affects how the bike sits..ie if longer then itll raise the height of your bb which in turn will make the bike feel slightly twitchy when steering…shorter lowers the bb which will make the bike ceel more relaxed but a chance that youll catch the pedals or cranks on rocks etc.
    What is it that youre not happy with?

tomhoward

If you use the same length shock with a shorter stroke, the leverage ratio increases, meaning a drop in performance (iirc small bump compliance, it’ll be a bit harsher)

gonzy
    Free Member

you can probably get away with running a 190x51mm (7.5×2.0)shock by running more sag or by fitting offset bushes

if thats the case then i have a Monarch RL shock for sale. in perfect condition as it was only used about 8 times
    e-mail in profile

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Rear Shock Help.’ is closed to new replies.