Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Rear shock for the larger gent – advice please
  • richcc
    Free Member

Mate is just getting into riding. He's 'big boned' and is probably about 19st. He bought a Focus super bud full susser from Wiggle. He's killed the rear shock – suntour raidon air thing in less than 2 hrs of steady riding round Cannock follow the dog.

What's the best thing for him to do? Send whole bike back to Wiggle, get Suntour shock replaced with same again or see if Wiggle will offer him a beefier shock if so what? Are coil shocks more suitable than air for chunky monkeys?

mk1fan
    Free Member

19-stone is too much for an air shock. Fox Van R would be my first look as they are now available in all e2e / stroke lengths.

TFTuned and Mojo.

As for the specific bike. If your mate is happy with the bike – overall – then return the shock for replacement. Buy a Van R and keep the new shock if they decide to sell later.

jasonm945
    Free Member

Have you contacted wiggle? Unless the bike is restricted to certain weight then the shock should be sorted.
    There are no weight restrictions on air shocks and why should he buy a coil shock, then have to source a heavier coil?

Jay

richcc
    Free Member

He'll be talking to Wiggle tomorrow. Must admit I've never had a full susser so couldn't give him much advice. 'common sense' (in my mind, and from the position of no real knowledge) would suggest that a metal spring might support his weight better than a can of air – possibly operating at the extreme of its operating range.

Hopefully Wiggle will replace the shock and all will be well.

ken_shields
    Free Member

I'm a larger chap and am using a Fox DHX 5.0 Air on my 5 Spot with no problems.

Suntour ain't the best (you pays your money etc…) but I'd have expected it to last longer than two hours

Contact Wiggle for a replacement….might be worth trying for an upgrade to a good shock

montylikesbeer

Not a skinny lad myself either and I ride an Orange 5 with a fox RP23 with no problems, before the orange I was on a wolf ridge again with an rp23, was a bit larger than I am now with again no problems for 3 years I had the bike.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

It's a cheap shock. Get an air shock by fox and get it shimmed and tuned for his weight.

richcc
    Free Member

A better shock is the obvious answer just hoped that it would be something he could replace due to wear and tear – not plain bust after 2 hrs riding! Bit of a throater to fail immediately and takes the shine off the new bike a bit

5thElefant
    Free Member

I happily use air shocks and am 16-9 at the moment (more than occasionally over 17 stone). Plenty more psi left to go too. And I don't pootle around following the dog.

I avoid springs because I vary my weight between 14-10 and 17-10 depending on whether the gym or the bike is my current thing (usually a summer/winter thing). Presumably your mate expects to get lighter, so get an air shock.

Wookster

rp23 mate legand for the bigger gent!

mk1fan
    Free Member

There are no weight restrictions on air shocks and why should he buy a coil shock, then have to source a heavier coil?

Jay

Yes there are weight restrictions on air shocks and forks. Why would he need to source a heavier spring?? Buy from TFT or Mojo and they'll set it up correctly out of the box as part of the purchase cost.

ton

mk1fan – Member
    19-stone is too much for an air shock. Fox Van R would be my first look as they are now available in all e2e / stroke lengths.

incorrect mate.
    i am 21stone and sum.
    i run a air shock on my ventana.
    what the op's friend should have done was his homework.
    only certain shock ratio'sc are suitable for big blokes.
    2.1 being the best.
    he needs to find out the ration on the bike he has bought. and if it is not suitable for his weight, then get rid of said bike.

mk1fan
    Free Member

I assume I got the 'executive summary' from TFT then.

joolsburger
    Free Member

I run a Float R at 230psi without any problems I jump with it too and I'm a big fella.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Rear shock for the larger gent – advice please’ is closed to new replies.