Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Rear shock for a 2005 Turner 5-spot?
  • phiiiiil

I’m trying to do a bit of bike upgrading but it’s proving harder than it should be to give away money!

I’m looking at replacing the old Romic coil with an air shock; I was after a Rockshox Monarch RC3 but it seems they simply don’t exist, nowhere has any stock at all and can’t get hold of any more. Which is a bit of a bugger because I had sort of got my heart set on it after lots of research.

So what else is worth a punt that you can actually get hold of? I wanted something different from a Fox (the last Fox shock I had was utterly unreliable, and they’re more expensive too) but I’d quite like the improved compression damping of the RC3 over the RT3 monarch (this is of course assuming that anyone actually has an RT3…)

Is there anything else worth looking at?

It seems to be a growing phenomenon that while the choice of components is quite large the range that you can actually get hold of is an awful lot shorter…

Phil

Vortexracing

I know it might not be what you are after but I have both a Van RC coil and a Float RP2/3 to sell if you are interested.

honourablegeorge

Rosebikes had cheap Monarchs in a short length recently

phiiiiil

They did, but while I was deliberating as to why they were so cheap they sold out… 🙁

Vortexracing, thanks but not quite what I’m looking for (assuming anything else actually exists!)

Vortexracing

No probs, not wanting to rub it in , but the fox shocks are for sale because I managed to get my hands on a RC3 🙄

Sorry

phiiiiil

You probably got the last one! 🙂

toons
    Free Member

if you want to import one drop me an email.

deserter
    Free Member

I just got a rp2 2nd hand for mine, works well

dickie
    Free Member

When I had a Horst link 5 Spot a ‘PUSH’ tuned RP3 was regarded the best rear shock.
    Buy a cheap used one & send it to TFT for tune & refurb.

nickf
    Free Member

I’ve got a DHX5 air I took off my 5 Spot. You’d want to get it serviced/upgraded, but it’s yours for not a lot if you want it.

MuddyDave
    Free Member

Not sure this is much use to you but I recently changed out a Monarch R on a Salsa Spearfish to an RT3. Difference is noticeable when in platform mode and wide open, just seems a much smoother shock and also definite difference in all 3 positions. On my Five I have a pushed RP3 and find very little difference in the settings compared to the RS although the Push did help it stop blowing through its travel.

But, all very difference suspension systems to yours. the RT3 does get lots of love of the MTBR forums when I looked last.

ditch_jockey
    Free Member

RP3 on mine – works a treat, never had any problems in the three or four years it’s been on. I’ve swapped out the seals, and gave it a service about 2 years ago and make sure it gets cleaned and lubed after each ride.

LoCo
    Free Member

Fox or CCDB

rc200f8
    Free Member

Still using the original Romic on my 04 Spot, far better than any air shock I’ve tried on it, but it’s a bit of a pig to service compared with the DHX coil on my sixpack

coogan
    Free Member

Coil. 5 Spots should always have a coil!

RustyMac

Have you tried bike-components.de? Earlier in the year a bunch of people were getting Sectors at cheap prices from them. I don’t know if there pricing is competative on the RC3 but they seem to have a big selection marked as in stock.

Looks like they have RC3 shock in 2011 2012 models and regular and high volume housings.

phiiiiil

The Romic it has at the moment seems fine, despite having not been serviced or had its bushings replaced in years, but I’d just like something lighter for everyday use.

Rusty, thanks, I hadn’t noticed them – will give them a try. I would put money on having the same “we didn’t know the distributors haven’t got any” though; they’re still showing in stock at the three places I’ve ordered one from already!

Why is it so difficult to give away money…

JonR
    Free Member

I’ve got a Pushed fox RP23 I’ll be looking to sell in the next couple of weeks. It’s losing a bit of oil on rides so it will need a service and I wouldn’t be wanting too much for it.

midlifecrashes

Mine is nice on an RP23, older model pre boost valve stylee.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Rear shock for a 2005 Turner 5-spot?’ is closed to new replies.