Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Rear shock change – Will I miss shock settings/lockout?
  • razorrazoo

Looking to upgrade my Fox Float evo ctd rear shock on my Zesty but on a budget (as near to £100 as possible)

Options seem to be a better second hand Fox CTD / RS Monarch Debonair RL3 (what I’d really like but hard to find).

Also seen a few new Monarch Debonairs on ebay which have been removed from new bikes. These are coming in on budget but are the R model so not even lockout. I’m tempted but worried that I’ll miss the ability to adjust/lockout.

The ‘but’ is that I have set up my existing shock to work effectively in the trail setting (run full recommended sag in this setting rather than Descend as I never remember to flick the switch), the bike climbs better off-road without lockout, so I only use this winching on fire roads. So am I over worrying about having too much adjustment? Does anyone have experience of the basic monarch debonair? Should I just throw my lot in with a bit more spendy upgraded fox?

rickon
    Free Member

You’ll want to get a higher tune than normal if you don’t have a compression lever. Which will make the bike a little less compliant on the descents .

Basically, you’ll compromise because you can’t choose to change the low speed damping on the trail.

That said… My Zesty worked really well with the stock Fox, without a lockout.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

get the shock you have tuned, better than buying something cheap.

chakaping
    Free Member

you can get a monarch rt debonair for close to £100 secondhand

Has platform lever and I think would be great on a zesty if you can get the m/m tune

razorrazoo

I’ll be looking for a M/M tune. This is what has ben recommended by Mojo.

I’m looking out for the RL3 but nowt around at the moment. A factory CTD is around £150 or Jtech a re doing one on ebay for 170 with a tune

razorrazoo

Bump for the day crowd. Any other input?

Leku
    Free Member
    chakaping
    Free Member

Plenty of Monarch RTs on Pinkbike as people take them off Reigns to upgrade.

Cracking little shock though, it’s got a platform lever and IME you don’t need a “mid” mode on the Zesty as it’s quite a taut suspension setup anyway.

razorrazoo

Leku – Member
    Have a look at a Vorsprung Corset. Added one to my RP2 and love it.

Good idea, but my shock is the Evo version with the ultra basic damper/internals – not even tunable, I want to upgrade that first, I think that the Corset would be like rolling a turd in glitter.

[/quote]Plenty of Monarch RTs on Pinkbike as people take them off Reigns to upgrade.

Cracking little shock though, it’s got a platform lever and IME you don’t need a “mid” mode on the Zesty as it’s quite a taut suspension setup anyway.

Keeping an eye out, one on there at the moment but over budget.

Any views on a better Fox (Factory Kashima)?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Rear shock change – Will I miss shock settings/lockout?’ is closed to new replies.