Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • rear shock advice please…
  • gonzy
    Free Member

took the newly built bike up to Gisburn Forest for its first proper outing yesterday…
    i knew the rear shock needs to be replaced…but i didnt realise how bad it would be..
    basically every time it compressed it would hiss and hiss again when it extended…the rebound was also a bit hit and miss as it would work then occasionally slow down…
    the unit is a shockworks unit that came with the frame and looks quite old…
    i’ve now got my eye on a couple of replacements:
    for rp23
    fox rp2
    fox dhx coil
    fox dhx air

i know the fox rp units are good, but has anyone had any experiences of the dhx units especially the air version? i’ve heard the performance can be a hit and miss..
    any other recommendations would be appreciated too!!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I’d suggest getting one from a suspension dealer as the most important thing is the tune, it’s important to get the right tune for the suspension design of the bike.

From previous, RP23 awesome (right tune) crap (wrong tune) – I have 3 rp23’s and an rp3, one of the 23’s is great – right for the bike 2 are awful as they were from other bikes (single pivot vs fsr) the rp3 is actually coming in second
    DHX air – bad rep
    DHX Coil great (see above on tune)

as usual Loco to the forum or try one of the others

gonzy
    Free Member

i’m on a bit of a tight budget at the moment so i was looking to get a good shock that can then later be sent off to somewhere like Loco/Mojo/TF Tuned etc. for it to be set up properly for the bike…
    ideally i’d prefer a coil unit to replace what i have currently but i’m seriously considering an air can to reduce the overall weight..

mikewsmith
    Free Member

whats the bike? if your buying second hand you should factor in a full service 🙁

Air shocks have come a long way (to the point where they are coming on DH bikes) all depends what you have, what kind of suspension design and what your doing (and if it’s a common size)

chris_db
    Free Member

it’s also important to point out that if you’re tending towards the heavy side that most air shocks simply won’t work for you.

Even a standard coil like a Van RC with the right weight spring will out perform the finest air shock if you have to stick 300psi in it to stop it bottoming.

C

gonzy
    Free Member

the frame its going on is a Da Bomb Da Pukka frame…the frame has 140mm travel and is a 4 bar linkage design as below…the current spring is a 350lb one but i think ideally for my weight i should have a 450lb

i’ve seen some versions running air shocks…so i’m not fussed either way

tmb467
    Free Member

currently got a DHX 4.0 air shock on my enduro (so no boost chamber valve – but it can be retro-fitted). I had it serviced by Loco and he added the air can shim to reduce the volume (added mid-travel support) which makes it feel like a new shock

benefits…its cheap and works well for me but its old technology and there are better ones out there. If i was going to buy another air shock I’d be looking at a Monarch Plus…for coil, I’d be happy enough with a cheap DHX 5.0 (at my price point)

If you want an air shock and have a choice between an RP3, an RP23 and a DHX air and the cost is comparable, go with the newest one (all imho)

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘rear shock advice please…’ is closed to new replies.