Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Rear Shock Advice
  • tankslapper
    Free Member

Hi guys

Have a 2003 Specialized Enduro as my second bike. Not fussed on the rear shock (Fox Float RL Itch) which frankly stays locked out everywhere but on long descents

The question is what are my options?

Manitou 3 Way? Or even a 4 way?
    Fox Float R?
    Fox Float R with Propedal?

??

Cheers
    TS

I_Ache
    Free Member

It seems you would need a 7.625 x 2" shock and thats a custom size. Now if you are lucky you might find one on feabay or you could persuade TF or Mojo to build you one. Fox only make 7.5 x 2" or 7.875 x 2" at a guess I would say that both probably would fit your bike but they would alter the geometry.

If I were you I would remove all the air from the shock and compress the suspension all the way and see how close the tolerances are before the frame hits itself. If there is more than 0.125" then you should happily be able to fit 7.5 shock if not then it will have to be the 7.875 one.

Decide whether you would like the frame to be slacker or steeper and choose your shock based on that.

HTH

tankslapper
    Free Member

Hi Andy

And thanks for the advice

Basically I'm looking for a shock which is more responsive to trail conditions without throwing a switch back and forth. Had a Manitou 3 way on a Giant VT1 which I reckon was pretty good being that it seemed 'terrain responsive' with little bob out on roads or smoother tracks

TS

tankslapper
    Free Member

Just spotted this

http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/wanted-fox-float-rl-rear-shock-enduro-2003

Pate's response seems pretty firm – Fox advised 190mmx50mm which in my book is 7.5"x2.0"

I_Ache
    Free Member

I got those figures from the spech archive too and obviously spech know its a custom length so they are suggesting the next best thing. The 7.5×2 this would make your bike ever so slightly slacker (you probably wont notice it) but still retain the same travel.

ere is the archive page.

http://www.specialized.com/gb/en/bc/SBCBkModel.jsp?arc=2003&spid=20947

I've got a RP3 on my Spech Pitch and find it great yes it has a little leaver but that doesn't affect the travel just the level of propedal and its really no trouble to adjust when riding. YOu could get a standard float with non adjustable propedal but I recommend getting an RP3 or the like from fleabay.

tankslapper
    Free Member

Thanks Andy for the advice and the research – 'll check out the rp3

Appreciated

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Rear Shock Advice’ is closed to new replies.