Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Rear QR skewer [boring question content]
  • ashfanman
    Free Member

Need to get a rear QR skewer for my new build. Was thinking either Hope (the wheels are Hope Hoops) or Chromag (I have the seat clamp and it’s a lovely thing) – any thoughts or other suggestions?

druidh
    Free Member

Shimano.

End.

of.

thread.

Junkyard
    Free Member

I like Hope Shimano are good too no idea re Chromag. Pick one you like the bling of and buy that.

z1ppy

Shimano +1, for lots of reason, all of them good

aracer
    Free Member

Unless you’re a weight weenie (and even then unless you’re really sure), then Shimano. Only plausible reason not to is weight. Unless Hope have changed since I last looked they wouldn’t be the choice of the weenie – skewers which are both lighter and work better.

ashfanman
    Free Member

Definitely not a weight weenie – just want something that works well and is solid/reliable. If it looks nice then that’s a bonus.

Any Shimano in particular? The only ones that I seem to be able to find separately (I don’t need a front QR) is XTR?

druidh
    Free Member

Any Shimano – they all work the same.

z1ppy

Try the European mail order sites, they usually have them for priced well. Or even just place a classified’s Ad in the WTD forum, lots of ppl splitting bikes (trading) or changing to 10mm bolt thru’s.

TuckerUK
    Free Member

Any Shimano – they all work the same.

Deore and up for black aluminium housing/handle, I know XT have a bright finish skewer (SS or chromed?)

SJS Cycles sell Shimano skewers.

stevede
    Free Member

I have a Deore on the rear of one bike and Xt on the other, both spot on. Never been a fan of Hope qr’s in seatclamp or skewer form (have owned both) which is a shame as they look the part and i’m a big fan of Hope brakes and hubs. Didn’t know Chromag made skewers, if they are anything like the quality of the seatclamps they’ll be all good.

seth-enslow666
    Free Member

Hope Would be the last skewer I would buy. In fact I would not use one if I had one and needed one in a rush. The XT and XTR skewers are fairly light and hold the wheel on better than any others IMO

I have a mint condition black Shimano XT skewer for the rear. Email if you want to buy it. I don’t need it just taken it off A Bike I sold

Also got a Mavic Crossmax rear skewer which I found also very good. Also now surplus

Onzadog
    Free Member

If you fancy something pretty then salsa are the only bling skewers that come close to shimano.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Rear QR skewer [boring question content]’ is closed to new replies.